Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Power limits question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power limits question

O.k., I usually see that the transmission or clutch (if stock) limit the amount of power we caqn get from our engines. Sorry if this has been hashed out already, but if the transmission/clutch wasn't a factor, how much power/tq. can I get out of my '96 using simple mods, without changing the turbo or injectors? Basically, what I'm asking, is once I swap out my transmission to a Spicer 3053A and upgrade the clutch, just how far can I go with "low budget" mods, and still be reliable, not have to constantly worry about EGTs, get decent mileage, and be able to tow with the truck? Which fuel plate can I use for an otherwise stock engine?

Jim
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 AM

I would go a #10 plate or carve a stocker and a 3K GSK for sure.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 AM

Thanks. I asked a similar question before, and was basically told that my trans would be the limiting factor, so I would need to upgrade that. Well I should be getting my new trans in a couple weeks (buying tomorrow, then waiting for delivery), and with the bigger trans, SAE bellhousing and bellhousing adapter, I should be able to fit a larger flywheel on this motor...if thats possible. I would think the flywheels and clutches used on medium duty trucks would be larger than our trucks use.

I see you have "some other non-stock parts", so I can't go by your power numbers...what should I expect from a #10 and 3K GSK? How much will this affect my mileage? I'm greedy, and want it all...power AND mileage! Thats why I bought a diesel.

Jim
Old 11-17-2005, 02:30 AM

Other non stock parts are stuff like VW's seat, custom bumbers and other non engine/drivetrain stuff.

GSK gives you more useable RPM. Makes that shift from 3rd to 4th nicer if you can bring the rpm up.

Really depends on if you put the fuel plate in the stock location or forward of that. Before the 370's I ran something like 305 hp but that is with the plate forward of stock location.

Advancing the timing will also help. Mine is set at 16.5 degrees.