Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P7100 Timing Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P7100 Timing Tools

Just getting ready to address the KDP on my truck and want to bump the timing while I'm in there. I've been averaging 16 mpg's and hopefully this will help.

Anyway, any suggestions on tools? I looked on ebay and found the following item but not sure about quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timin...#ht_500wt_1089

For roughly 30 dollars more snap on sells a blue point kit.

What do you guys think? Anyone in the eastern Idaho area happen to have these tools that I could rent?

Thanks

Clark
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Back when I first got on here, I got this from a senior member.....

Works for me.

"Hey no problem, I dont mind helping.
Well, You can get a delivery valve socket from piers diesel for $30.
2. For the dial indicator, Harbor Freight sells them for $10, and it works just as good as an expensive one. It has been used ot the forum more than once. The only prob. with it is it is in inches. That isnt a big deal, because if you search on DTR people have converted the mm to in. measuremens.
3. For a dial indicator holder, you can use a drain plug from our cummins. I went to autozone and they had one for $5.00. You just drill out the center so the dial indicator slides in there. Then you need to drill and tap a small hole for a set screw in the side of the drain plug, so the indicator doesnt move.
4. For the gear puller, any cheap steering wheel puller will work. You can get them from auto parts stores, for under $20.

I did mine this way and it worked out great. I looked on ebay and came across a metric dial indicator for cheap, after I did it with the inch dial indicator.

There you go, under $70."
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM

I cobbled mine together in the same manner. I've used a snap-on one before, and I honestly like mine better, although its not quite as refined. But it does the job just as well, and I was into mine less than $50. But I had a DV socket given to me. You might want to invest in a barring tool as well. Or make a tool to turn the pump itself, instead of setting the plunger lift by turning the engine.

That being said, Jesse (Eatsoot.com) is a good guy. He makes good pieces, I got my adjustable pump gear from him.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Most kits don't include a barring tool which makes the job a lot easier.
You can buy one from many sources including ebay for about $35 or do what I did and weld the gear from an old starter motor to a cheap socket.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM

If I don't get around to getting a barring tool, what other methods are there to turn over the engine?

Before I started looking into this, I just figured you would use a wrench on the crank.

I don't plan on turning up my pump, and if I do, maybe a 3k spring and sliding the stock plate. Right now I am just shooting for better mpg's with the pump stock.

What timing settings would you guys suggest for the above scenarios?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Clark
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM

You can use a ratchet/socket on the damper bolts, but you don't have near the control you do with the barring tool. Plus, the barring tool acts as a back stop for tightening/loosening the pump nut. 5th gear works, but not as well. Use the alternator to turn the engine backwards.

Go for 15-16 degrees for a mild bump. I put mine to 18 and my mileage is up. But I think switching back to summer fuel has helped that more.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys for all the info. Called cummins and they sell the barring tool for 45 bucks so I'll just buy one from them.

Thanks,

Clark
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Sorry guys, but I've got another question. As I was reading the directions again (TSB 18-10-94) to bump my timing, they refer to a bearing and thrust washer being used in conjunction with a gear puller to pull the injection pump gear.

Do I need this washer and bearing and if so, where do I get it?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I take the plunge!

Special tools and parts I've ordered so far:

KDP kit (gaskets and tab.)
Snap on Timing kit with gear puller
Barring tool
New washer for DV.

Thanks,

Clark
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 AM

You shouldn't need a washer for your DV. Typically, those are only found in the 160/175 pumps, and aren't required.

No need for the thrust bearing. Thats so the gear won't slip on the shaft as you tighten it on. I take a socket, place it on the gear over the shaft, and give it a whack with a dead blow. It sets in place, then torque the nut. Easy as Pi.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:13 AM

The posts that I have read suggest using a good oil-free cleaner on the shaft and buying a new lock washer for the timing gear.

Floyd