Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

KDP, Plate, & timing bump this wknd...what tools for timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KDP, Plate, & timing bump this wknd...what tools for timing?

coupla questions: I know in the TSB, as well as most other places i've read it requires a metric (MM) dial indicator... i have an SAE/inch Dial indicator...
1.) would this work (just doing the conversion) or should i buy another..?

i also need a DV socket, and a DV dial indicator holder (i've read about the drain-plug deal...pretty neat)
2.) a sealing washer too?

3.)possibly a barring tool? although i've heard using the alternator nut works decent...

some have also mentioned the timing pin not being right, and commented about finding TDC by removing the #1 injector and using the dial indicator...
4.)would a dial indicator extension-of-some-sort be needed for this?

5.)best to do the timing adjustment with the front cover off? while doing the KDP? do the GSK kit now too???

6.) anyone clarify some specifics for me a bit?

thanks a bunch!!

J
Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can reuse the sealing washer if your pump uses one.
Great mm to inch converter here http://joshmadison.net/software/
You need a DV socket.
Don't trust the timing pin, hard to say if you need an extension without seeing your indicator.
With turning the engine over with the alternator you can only go one way, if you overshoot you have to go all the way back around.
Makes little difference if the front cover is removed to change the timing.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 AM

An extension is probably not needed if you use the drain plug converted to a indicator holder thingy. You set up the drain plug like in the pics in my gallery.

Install the drain plug in the delivery valve. Then you slip the gauge in place, making sure you have established contact with the dv and the plunger on the dial indicater. Tighten the set screw but don't tighten it so much that you crush the gauge. Of course this all done while following the instructions on some place like these: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm The procedure is the same, just use the drain plug set up and convert things over from metric to inches.

Have the dial facing forward (toward front of truck) so you can see the gauge while your barring/turning the engine over. Get all your measurements converted over from metric to inches (if your using an inch gauge) written on a piece of paper and close by for quick reference.

Depending upon the year of your truck, you may or may not have a washer in there. You will have an O ring. Make sure that is clean and lubed with oil or diesel when reassembling.

Good luck, KD
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

where to buy the tools?

Where should i buy the DV socket? i came up a bit empty handed with a google search...

thanks for the notes guys! i'm pretty confident...

i can atleast get the KDP done, and find TDC before i get the DV socket..

i wonder if this is one of the deals i can borrow from my local Autozone..

/me calls.

J
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 PM

You can get the DV socket at snapon.com. look for item SP500 which is the kit. You can buy each piece seperatly. Only took a few days to ship when I bought mine. The only local source I found was $100 for the socket!!! Also buy a barring tool from Cummins for around $35. It is definatly worth it.
Another way to find TDC is the dropped valve method. Basically you pull a valve cover and tighten down the #1 exhaust valve. Roll the motor over with a barring tool to it barely touches the piston. You can feel it barely bump. Mark the balancer. Now go back the opposite way and once again mark the balancer. Divide the distance in two and that is the TDC mark. Reset the the valve lash to 20 thousanths and you are done. Much simpliar than pulling the injector.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 AM

cool..

i shall try snap-on.com.

rain this weekend/week is gonna drive me bonkers..