Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OEM Lift pump conversion to save VP44?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Lift pump conversion to save VP44?

There is a OEM lift pump conversion w/ installation kit on ebay if I replace it with this kit will it keep my VP44 from failing? I dont want to have to drop a whole bunch of money on replacing stuff so will this work? Here is a link, tell me what you think. Is there a cheaper altenative to save my VP44?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM

There are cheaper alternatives to putting the pump in the tank. Vulcan big line with stock pump is what I used. Makes changing the pump very easy. There are MANY other alternatives depending on how much you want to spend. There is not guarantee you IP will not go south no matter what you do.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FIRE!!!! FIRE!!!!

.....this topic should bring on a barrage of opinions. I'll sit back and say nothing until someone posts on how the FASS pump will absolutely save your VP....or maybe that group has learned too. ok, most any pump you can add or change as long as it provides a good volume of fuel to your VP will most certainly "help" your VP to live a......well, life. Some lives are short, some go on seemingly forever. Good luck with your choice. Got a link to that auction?

....I'm at 107k on my second VP and ORIGINAL lift pump.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wrangler04
There is a OEM lift pump conversion w/ installation kit on ebay if I replace it with this kit will it keep my VP44 from failing? I dont want to have to drop a whole bunch of money on replacing stuff so will this work? Here is a link, tell me what you think. Is there a cheaper altenative to save my VP44?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...QQcmdZViewItem
in my opinion, nothing you do will keep the vp44 from failing... you can prolong the life some, but if the electronic fuel control module fails like a lot of them do, no amount of good lift pumps will prevent that kind of a failure
when mine went it wasn't mechanical......
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 AM

What does the vulcan big line do? Just have bigger fuel lines to get more fuel to it? I wouldnt drop the tank to put in the pump I would just pull the bed off, saves time IMO. Is there a cheap place to get the vulcan big line? What would be the best to run? Pros/Cons?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM

The Vulcan moves the pump off the block back by th fuel tank. The new lines replace all the banjo bolts & are much larger. It also has a nice place to hook up your FP fauge, between the FF and VP44. It helps provide a more consistent FP to the VP and makes changing the LP easier. You do not have to touch the bed, all underneath the truck and in the engine bay.
It is a project, it will take some time.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Check Your Support Bracket

One other thing that might help your VP44 last longer is to check the bracket that supports the rear portion of the pump.

When I replaced my IP I found that mine was broken which I believe contributed to it's early death.

I think someone said that there was a recall on some of those brackets...depends on what year your truck is. If yours hasn't been fixed yet there's a good chance you have the same one as mine.

Scott
Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 PM

My uncle's, now brothers 2000 has 260k (still cruizin along) on the original VP44 and it had 200k on the original LP, before replacing it do to the fact that the truck died everyday on his way to work from the lack of fuel, (dead LP).
Every truck is different, my .02
Tim.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 PM

vulcan's web page
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-12/<i>Vulcan--Pusher-Pump/Detail
Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2500superram
vulcan's web page
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-12/<i>Vulcan--Pusher-Pump/Detail
So the hose kit is all I need to help out my VP44? What about those FASS HPFP 150 GPH Pump Kits, what benifit is it to have that? Will that help out my VP44?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 AM

I think it is a matter of opinion & preference, not to mention budget. You can buy the Vulcan for $125. You can buy (2) OEM pumps at NAPA for $200(put a spare under the seat) or so. The FASS is $400+, I bleieve.
Both will achieve similar objectives. Perhaps if you want high performance the Fass may be the better choice. If you stay stock or slight mods, the Vulcan may be the way to go. Both eliminate the Banjo bolts, thought to be a major constraing issue in the stock fuel line. There may be other major diffrrences, but those seem primary to me.
Either way, a FP gauge is a must.
Like Death & taxes, a dead VP seems inevitable. Keeping adequate Fuel pressure feeding it, will keep it going as long as possible.Also, 2 stoke oil may also help in the lubricity issue, lots of threads on that. Too much Fuel Pressure may be as bad as too little.
Lots of options. Read lots of threads, see which makes sense for you.
Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM

sdsaw hit on something I've posed on before. I think it is very critical that the bracket be positioned so there is no load placed on the IP. It's purpose is to support. If you crank it down just any where on the pump before you install the assembly, you can have a gap between the bracket and the block. Tighten the bolts up and you have a considerable load against the front cover and the IP. As hard as these motors vibrate and shake something is going to give.

There is quite a bit of bolt hole clearance onthe brackt so it can be moved around a bit to position it correctly.

I put the IP in place first with the bracket loose on the IP and tighten the IP nuts up first. This puts the IP in the right position. Then snug the bracket to the block and pump equally. The bracket then provides just support like it is supposed to.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM

I have a question where is everything located? Will a chiltons have all the locations of what I need to find? Is there a good manual to buy? I think Im going to get the vulcan. Any problems I may run into?