Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

nv4500 Help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nv4500 Help!?!

Blew my tranny for the 3rd time this year, first I twisted off the input shaft, then I blew third gear, then xmas morning put it in 5th, it didn't just spin the nut off I don't think, it poped I lost 5th gear and it started to growl in the other gears. I fixed it the first time, took it to a rebuild shop the 2nd thinkin I'd done something wrong, that was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Ever since it was put in couple weeks ago I have babyed it never even had the chance to hook it to a trailer, I've never dumped the clutch.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, will the tranny just not hold the mods in my sig(thought there were alot of people running much more than that through a 4500), or anything else at all I'm running out of ideas, I don't want to put it back in and just gut it, and I really don't want to get rid of my truck, I've even considered puttin in a slushbox(heaven forbid) if I can't figure it out. lol

Help thanks Bryan
Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take it back to the rebuild shop and ask them what "they" done wrong.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Ocmechanx, where did you get your 1 3/8 input shaft? Is it billet or forged? I have been trying to find a billet shaft for a little while but with no luck.

You are well within the limits for the nv4500. I know there are people around here running well over 600hp through them. I agree with crobtex, take it back to the shop that did the previous work. Something isn't right. Good luck
Old 12-26-2005, 04:16 PM

I got the shaft at south bend, I think it is billit but not sure now that u said sumthing about it.

Well I guess I'm gonna see if they'll honor the waranty the catch being is that they could say that the truck isn't stock,(even though their are plenty like ya say handlin 500+hp everyday), and all I can do is hope it'll hold up, unless they say that they won't fix it again after this then I'll have to do sumthin diff, can't take the risk of havin to cover the whole cost again

Thanks Bryan
Old 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Chapter President

I'm not sure what you should take, but take the rebuilder documentation that you don't have over the hp the tranny and clutch can handle.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:13 AM

The rebuild shop said to bring it to them, although the warranty dosen't cover the removal/install, so I get to pull it again oh yeah

Startin to get good at it now though lol

Oh well we'll seee how it goes.

Bryan
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 AM

Performance

Do I ever envy you with your HP that would be soooooo good to have that kind of acceleration. The best mine can muster is 258 hp with 275 injectors and P-N-P chip.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 AM

if your pullin it how would they know about your power mods?
Sometime to much info is a bad thing.

Hope they take care of it for ya.

dan
Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM

Well I didn't think it would do this,

The 5th gear nut stayed on, instead there are NO teeth on either one of the 5th gears, not one left.

I have never seen two gears completly stripped of all their teeth, in any application,med/heavy truck, heavy equipment, or industrial.

My buddy is an industial maintence tech, he and I just stared in dismay for bout 30 mins before we even had any ideas (and they were far fetched) on how this could happen

Anybody ever seen anything like it?

Bryan
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 PM

How hard do you drive it in 5th? I have heard that hammering on it (lugging) at low RPM in 5th is hard on the tranny.

Had to be something pretty serious to take all the teeth of the gear though.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Muted User

I am not saying anything about your particular transmission, or where the rebuild shop got its parts, BUT.... I have heard that there are more and more rebuild geartrain parts coming from China. Not only is China a communist country with which we are not supposed to be able to trade with (we can't buy Russian tractors or Cuban Cigars, but our good ole government doesnt seem to have a problem with everything else under the sun being imported from China), but they lack any and all quality control over their metallurgical processes, and some of their companies lack any ethical standards as well.

I know of a power station that got some turbine casing studs from an aftermarket company instead of the OEM a few years ago. When the millwrights went to torque some of the smaller ones ( ones which don’t use a bolt heater) they got very screwy bolt stretch readings at a very low torque. The engineers took a few studs and sent them for testing... turns out they were made from an essentially unknown alloy, since the % composition of the various elements didn’t match any alloy known, and the yield and ultimate stresses were just over HALF what they should have been.... after finding that, they tested some of the big 4" mammas and found the same thing. Further probing found them to all come from China, although all the paperwork said they were the proper alloy and that the required number of them were tested. Can you imagine!!! These studs were to hold together the casing of a 945,000 HP machine operating with 2,600 Psi, 1,000F steam and blade-tip speeds over mach 1.2..... if that casing separated in operation, there would not be one surviving soul in the plant.... but its a Chinese company and there is no way to go after them or do anything about it at all...its not like you can pull them into arbitration or litigation, they just say bye bye, and their government wont do anything at all about it... I understand the aircraft manufacturers are also having their hands full with this and the Chinese companies are even fudging aircraft specs, although I did hear that the usa agent importing them is in prison now....

friggin disgrace....

Anywhoo, sorry for the long story, but it may explain what is happening to your trans..... Find out where your parts came from.

KP