Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Now keep it simple.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now keep it simple.....

If the truck is stock and I wanted to try to get better fuel economy, is there a particilar chip/module that would be best? Let's say I use my truck more for going to bid jobs then pulling equipment to the job. Pull once in a while, but very seldom over 7000#, and very seldom over 20 miles (short trips).

Another truck has PDQ 4" exhaust, AFE intake, 370 injectors (I'm told), Vulcan big line kit, EGT, Boost, FP guages. Rebuilt IP and LP, rebuilt transmission with Fairbanks VB and TC, and used pretty much the same use as above.

I read about EZ, Van Aaken, Hypertech and others. How do I know who should get my money?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Chapter President

What are you getting for fuel mileage now? I would say get the EZ, just because I don't have any experience with the others mentioned. For some more money you should check out SMARTY from http://www.madselectronics.com/index.html sold right here on the DTR.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 PM

dont mess with hypertech cause thats what it is a lot of hype. i like the ez on mine. the truck gets driven daily and pulls every other weekend probably. the van aaken i have heard to be good also, not for sure on mileage or anything and im not sure bout my mileage with just an ez cause it was never just the ez.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
If the truck is stock and I wanted to try to get better fuel economy, is there a particilar chip/module that would be best? Let's say I use my truck more for going to bid jobs then pulling equipment to the job. Pull once in a while, but very seldom over 7000#, and very seldom over 20 miles (short trips).

Another truck has PDQ 4" exhaust, AFE intake, 370 injectors (I'm told), Vulcan big line kit, EGT, Boost, FP guages. Rebuilt IP and LP, rebuilt transmission with Fairbanks VB and TC, and used pretty much the same use as above.

I read about EZ, Van Aaken, Hypertech and others. How do I know who should get my money?
I'm in the same boat as you... But I do pull some loads once in awhile...

I'm looking for a bit of a boost in power for hauling firewood. With this load I was just about WOT and only pulling barely 60 MPH. Pyro (1100*F) and boost (19 PSI) where in check. Normall MPG empty is about 17-18 but hauling this load dropped me to 14.10 MPG!!! One site is suggesting to me "QuadZilla"...
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM

quadzilla ive heard that it is decent but not the best bang for the buck. i would stick with edge for the best bang for the buck. just my .02 cents
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Registered

well you just want it for fuel milage, you would have to drive several mile to pay for it's self you can see 1-2 mpg, some see none. but if you want the power and maybe better mpg the ez or the va would be a good choice even a puck would do it, all do about the same, I would not get a programer unless it's a smarty. IMO
Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you don'tr want to go crazy, get the EZ. It is the best (IMO) for a fueling timing box that is the most reasonable.
When I pulled 18,100 total weight from So-Cal to SPokane via I-15/I-90, I got 12 mpg doing 70-75 mpg. Boost was between 15 and 21 the whole way almost. The slowest I went was 49 up Outlook pass on the MT/ID line.
I highly recommend the EZ. It will make that loaded truck of firewood feel empty.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I'll chime in favouring the Van Aaken V5 or Smartbox R. Just based on driving both the EZ and the V5, the V5 is a better unit for the towing that I do. I have also had better luck with longevity out of the VA products.

It is more a matter of personal preference though, but sticking with a mild chip is definitely the way to fly.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM

I immediately noticed 1-2 mpg improvement after the Mach 1's went in. I think about the same with the Smarty, but I pulled my Banks Ottomind box when I started using that. The Ottomind also gave me 1-2 mpg improvement and was a push with the Smarty. The Ottomind would be comparable to an EZ.

On the other side, mpg can go way down if I start hot rodding.

Jim