Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbie question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie question.

Just bought 95 Dodge 12 valve 4x4 and would like just a little more power with out losing fuel mileage. Since I puchased truck I've replaced upper and lower Ball Joints, Track Bar, Axle u-joints, TPS, aligned front end, replaced radio, left front speaker and repaired drivers side seat (usual wear spot). Goes in for new paint job Monday. $$$$$$$. Can just aford to do one thing now, what has most impact for the buck.. Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by rodney cantrell
Just bought 95 Dodge 12 valve 4x4 and would like just a little more power with out losing fuel mileage. Since I puchased truck I've replaced upper and lower Ball Joints, Track Bar, Axle u-joints, TPS, aligned front end, replaced radio, left front speaker and repaired drivers side seat (usual wear spot). Goes in for new paint job Monday. $$$$$$$. Can just aford to do one thing now, what has most impact for the buck.. Thanks
watch out your going to get bit by the power bug. does your truck have gauges, exhaust or different air intake or filter. if you plan on keeping this around for awhile I would look at simple better air in and out. if you havent change your fuel filter. check your fuel system. your truck in stock mode should be decent on mpg unloaded. there are alot of threads out there on tweeking your injection pump and you dont have to dump alot of money in it. check the classifieds for some parts. maybe diff injectors down the road. hows the tranny holding up. its been awhile since I have had a 12 valve my brain is stuck on 24 valve right now. and when I had my 12 I really didnt do much to it because the beast was great for the time I had it. just really think on what you want to be able to do with it. daily drive good towing truck etc. do some thread searches on here also. you should get alot of response from the 12v guys on here. there is alot of guys on here that know some cheap simple self doing stuff. congrats on the truck welcome aboard.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks

Dieselwrks thanks for the reply and thanks for your service. Mine was Army Vietnam 68-69. I've always liked power, I'm just new to diesel and kinda lost. I don't need a lot of power I just like it. When I can figure out how to do it I will. It sounds like gauges are the first thing to do. Again thanks and you guys will probably get tired of me lots of questions, just don'tknow what to ask yet.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM

that is why all of us are on here hoping to help someone. when you get some time to do some surfing go to the search tab and type in 12 valve parts or questions it will give you alot of reading and some good catching up to do on peoples do's and dont's that they have learned. it really is going to come down to time,money and what you are really want in the end. so you dont have to do things twice. if you post a question on here and ask who and what diesel shop in your area that has a good rep for service and advice. not someone that is going to just tell you what they think you should have or do. but someone that is going to help and listen to you. good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Boost and egt gauge first. Then look up gsk (govenor spring kit, go with the 4k) and fuel plate mod (do the free fuel plate mod and dont forget to loosen the starwheel while you are in that area). By then you will need a converter and valve body but it is easy to back off the power by sliding the fuel plate back once you get the tranny to slip.