Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Quadzilla High HP Box For 2nd Gen's??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm all for that, Quad. I agree a broader curve is where it's at.

The lack of shudder you mention is limited to competition TSTs, isn't it? Moreover, since a Comp TST doesn't really help an HO any over a regular PM3, what I'm interested in is performance with a stock HO pump.

In other words, ignoring gauge options, commander screen and all that niceties, what performance could I get from your box that I can't get from a regular PM3 on a fuel-limited HO pump?

As for enhanced bottom end, my Smarty has that covered.

I'm presently planning to add a regular PM3 to my HO to join the Smarty and M4s. This is a proven setup that's a known quantity. I'm trying to see if your new box would best this combo any, and (if so), how much.

My comment about HOs being fuel limited is that with almost any wire tap box and 150hp injectors, that HO pump is maxed out-- and I'm cool with that. My truck MIGHT make 500hp someday, but most likely not.

It's OK to say that I should just stick with a regular XZT for my weenie HO pump
Old 05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn, Just a thought, your HO pump won't live forever. When the time comes, you might consider a SO pump as a replacement.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'm all for that, Quad. I agree a broader curve is where it's at.

The lack of shudder you mention is limited to competition TSTs, isn't it? Moreover, since a Comp TST doesn't really help an HO any over a regular PM3, what I'm interested in is performance with a stock HO pump.

In other words, ignoring gauge options, commander screen and all that niceties, what performance could I get from your box that I can't get from a regular PM3 on a fuel-limited HO pump?

As for enhanced bottom end, my Smarty has that covered.

I'm presently planning to add a regular PM3 to my HO to join the Smarty and M4s. This is a proven setup that's a known quantity. I'm trying to see if your new box would best this combo any, and (if so), how much.

My comment about HOs being fuel limited is that with almost any wire tap box and 150hp injectors, that HO pump is maxed out-- and I'm cool with that. My truck MIGHT make 500hp someday, but most likely not.

It's OK to say that I should just stick with a regular XZT for my weenie HO pump
At this time, I am not going to promise any numbers.

What I do know. We fuel a LOT harder down low. Yes, way harder than a Smarty. The Smarty is limited to the same things as an EZ or our new XZT. I am pretty certain our new XZT fuels as hard as the Smarty on the bottom end. the limitations of that style system come from automatic locks in the Vp44 computer. That is why we have to tap the pump wire.

Here are what I think the advantages will be when we get it all squared away.

No need for Stacking. I can run your truck completely out of fuel at 1000 rpms if I want to. Trust me when I say we fuel down low and fuel hard down low.

Since we are also on the Can Bus another advantage will be the adjustability with timing options. You can go from Boost Fooling only (stock) to timing only to tons of power in a second or less by pushing a button. Then back to stock or timing only. This is something that cannot be done now and I believe it will be very attractive to people looking for mileage and people towing with injectors.

I also think that when it is all said and done we will be much more friendly to drive at with the same or higher power levels. This will happen due to a better power band.

I know some of the major fueling boxes now are really peaky and while they make power they are not a whole lot of fun to drive. I think the newer technology of being able to look at more parameters and the ability to be "smarter" than what is out there will make this box a lot better to drive.

For now, it is all talk. We are still trying to make sure we have things figured out. It seems every time we get on a different truck we learn something new. Even the same type pumps seem to respond different on different trucks.

Beyond that we have to be smart enough to put the MAP sensor adapters in the testing packages we send out.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Very honourable Qzilla!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

It's alright quad. It ain't that big a deal. But don't worry, as soon as I get it I'm gonna put it through it's paces. I've got a 50 mile one way trip to school over some decent hills with lots of straight aways to play with so I'll be able to have some fun with it. I'm very anxious.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:31 PM

True, but I think we visited the HO/SO pump swap question years ago, and the -27 can't be swapped for a -28 HO, or so my memory tells me.

If only things were so easy as to swap in an SO pump!

All hopes are on the SHOVP in that other thread.

If that becomes reality, I'll upgrade to M6s most likely.

I likes dem big sticks!

jh
Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Contact member bnold. He put an SO pump on his HO with no problems what so ever. You can go HO to SO but not SO to HO.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 AM

my pump swap was good for around 40-50hp alone, not to mention the fact that it allowed the upgrade to TST comp, even a regular TST netted no power increase from settings 5-9 on my HO pump... wouldn't change to M6s on an HO pump won't gain anything IMO
Old 05-29-2007, 03:54 AM

Exactly. You have to have the SO pump to get anything out of bigger sticks. My M4s are already the most an HO pump can handle.

No error messages or electronic snafus with the SO pump on an HO?

I feel like a schmuck for having the dealer put a NEW HO pump on my truck when the original crapped at 40K.

JH
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM

What gains will a guy see with a HRVP over a HO VP44? Can you max out a HRVP like you can with a HO VP44
Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 PM

HOHN: no issues whatsoever, installed the pump cracked some lines fired right up! no codes set at all.

u can max out all these VP pumps at a point. HO pump definitely max out the lowest, tough to get 500hp on fuel only on a HO pump
Old 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Jetpilot made over 600 with a SO ...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Question for Qzilla,

Will we be able to adjust the fueling curve on this box? and does it use the boost to calculate fueling? The smarty seems to over fuel with bigger sticks and low boost ( lots of smoke and the engine seems hesitate like the fire goes out).

It would be real cool if we could adjust the fueling curve down low for different sticks, until the boost comes up and let her rip.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM

I cannot really answer that question all the way.

Here is what I will tell you. The way it is setup right this second we do look at boost but, we also look at load%, rpm, and TPS. We do this so we don't overfuel.

I know the Smarty fuels down low but, the Smarty is very limited in its fueling capabilities just like any timing type module that works solely on the BUS. I can fuel at least 150% harder than a Smarty at ANY rpm. We dont HAVE to fuel that hard but, if you mat it, you will get fuel. If you drive it normal you get normal fuel.

We will have to visist the adjustable fuel curves later.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Exactly. You have to have the SO pump to get anything out of bigger sticks. My M4s are already the most an HO pump can handle.

No error messages or electronic snafus with the SO pump on an HO?

I feel like a schmuck for having the dealer put a NEW HO pump on my truck when the original crapped at 40K.

JH
Yes you can put an SO pump on your truck. you wont see full potential of the pump unless you put and SO ecm on too, but you don't have to.

Quick Reply: New Quadzilla High HP Box For 2nd Gen's??