Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need more low speed power- what's wrong here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more low speed power- what's wrong here?

I have just installed a #4 plate in the stock position (not pushed forward) and a BHAF. The truck really accelerates strong when the TC locks up at 50 mph and above. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to have the power/acceleration that I want from 0 to 50 mph.<br><br>What should I do next? I don't really want to do injectors or turbo yet, and my EGT's are at a safe level right now. I have a 4&quot; exhaust from turbo back w/o muffler, and a full BD tranny set-up, but I don't want to get too crazy with adding much more power, I just want some of what I have at high speeds- down lower.<br><br>I haven't done the Gov spring kit yet, but that is next, that shouldn't make much difference down at low speeds, though. right?<br>
Old 05-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Re:Need more low speed power- what's wrong here?

Put a manual torque converter lock up switch on. The slippage is eating up your giddie-up.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

dma251: When you say that you don't have the get up and go- does the truck rev up into the red ( or close to it) and not move or does it kind of lug around and not come up to the revs.<br>If it's the first you can either look at your shiftpoints or maybe a TC issue ( like the TC being too loose- which can be band-aided with a lockup switch, but be prepared for shorter tranny life). If it's the second alternative you can see whether it smokes wile getting on it or not. <br>This friday I had a 96 12V stocker here that would never emit a puff of smoke, and that was a real dog. I adjusted the AFC so it has a light puff of smoke when you step on it, but it clears up after about half a second. I turned the starwheel 22 clicks towards the engine. If you want to do this take an 8mm hex and open the plug on top of the AFC housing on the inj. pump and turn the wheel some clicks towards the engine. Record the number of clicks you adjusted and drive a bit- repeat as necessary, but be aware of EGTs and possible cat clogging if you produce too much soot. <br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-03-2003, 08:29 PM

I have a three month old BD transmission and TC with the pressureLoc installed, so I have about 120 lbs of line pressure on my TC. I am pretty sure it isn't slipping at all. It just seems like it's not very responsive to heavy throttle input at low speeds in lower gears. I realize that the tc is only locking up in 4th gear most of the time, and I plan on installing a TowLoc as soon as it is released to allow more control over TC lockup, but I wonder if my problem may also be in the engine set-up.<br><br>The engine will climb up to about 2500 before defueling, it's hard to explain except that it just doesn't push you back in the seat like it does when the tc locks up. One thing I noticed is that when the tc is locked up and I hit the pedal, the EGT's really shoot up fast, but when the tc is not locked up, it's a much slower increase in egts.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:13 AM

What is the stall rpm of the BD tc?? If it runs ok when it's locked, must be the wrong stall speed tc. How many rpm's does the engine drop when it shifts at wot??
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 PM

Well, I think I solved part of the problem, anyway... I thought I might be losing my TPS, so I hauled out the factory service manual to diagnose it, and it says that prior to testing TPS you must adjust throttle linkage.<br><br>I adjusted it correctly and got alot more power out of the bottom end. Unfortunately, now i have a new problem. I'm going to post it in a new topic so I can get some folks to see it fresh. Wish me luck....<br>