Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need better air filter than stock air filter

Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need better air filter than stock air filter

I live in Nicaragua, Central America where the roads are not the same as the US (a lot of dust). I need suggestions regarding a better air filter. I am thinking of one of the following 2:
1) K&N replacement life time air filter
2) Big Honkin Air Filter

Help please, and thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The mods will probably move this as it is not an emergency but with that said

I suggest the Amsoil EAA189 drop in filter. I love mine and I drive in dusty conditions a lot.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM

While the post is still here...
I assume you are in a "remote" area as far auto parts are concerned. I would suggest a washable, oil-soaked filter like a K&N for the dusty conditions you drive in. This way all you have to keep on hand is some cleaner and some oil and you can clean the filter when needed.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I suggest the Amsoil EAA189 drop in filter. I love mine and I drive in dusty conditions a lot.
Like he said i wouldn't get the oil filter because you will be recharging it all the time and you will have to buy oil for it. if you get the dry drop in it will not collect as much dust as the oil and to clean the amsoil all you need to do is blow it out and rinse it out with water let it dry and you are back on the road. the oil filter in dusty areas is a big
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM

if you get the dry drop in it will not collect as much dust as the oil
If you don't want to collect dust, take the filter out. The whole point here is to FILTER the dust out of the air. If you are in a dusty environment, then you are either gonna clean or replace air filters more often. Oil filters work better [than paper elements] to remove dust particles while allowing max airflow.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM

The Amsoil EA filter is a "dry" filter, but, it is cleanable and flows every bit as much air as an oiled filter or better. Check the Amsoil web site to find out. You only have to blow it off to clean it. No soap, no oil, just blow it off. If you are concerned about extreme amounts of dust ruining the filter, then I would recommend getting a pre-filter to go with it. Actually, I think a pre-filter is a good idea regardless of which filter you choose. Amsoil sales those too, or you can get one from Outerwears. Don't make the mistake of thinking Amsoil EA "dry" filters offer less filtering performance than an oiled filter or flow any less air than an oiled filter. I converted my truck's intake to a BHAF using an Amsoil EaAU 4510 dry performance filter. Best filter I've ever owned...I've used K&N, Banks oiled, and Amsoil being the best I've come across and used.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Although this test was done on duramax filters, it is the only independent ISO comparison of various filters I've run into...

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM

If you're in a dusty environment, then stick with the paper elements. They filter well.

John
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM

A second for the stock filter. If your in very dusty buy in bulk and change when minder says filteris used up.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Panel filters are good but the housings can leak (the OEM filter is prone to leakage because of the housing).

Paper is good for filtration efficiency, and you do NOT want an oiled *anything* filter for your case-- they won't catch as much dust, and the ones that DO catch some dust need to be serviced a lot (oiled foam).

You want a dry, low maintenance filter with infrequent maintenance and decent flow.

In short, you want a paper BHAF-- a little better flow than stock, excellent filtration, and a LOT of dirt capacity (these will go a long way in high dust environments).

JMO
Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by PChouinard
If you don't want to collect dust, take the filter out. The whole point here is to FILTER the dust out of the air. If you are in a dusty environment, then you are either gonna clean or replace air filters more often. Oil filters work better [than paper elements] to remove dust particles while allowing max airflow.
Its not that the dry one lets dust by its just with an oil filter the dust sticks to the filter there for clogging it up much faster than the dry one.....
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That seemed to be the basic conclusion of the article I posted a link to...

The various aftermarket filters were less restrictive than the stock paper filter when all were clean, but after a stream of dust soon the stock paper filter flowed better than the others, and it let less dust pass through.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 PM

I have the aFe intake dry (non-oiled) filter element and really like it. I build cell towers off road and that truck is in plenty of dust. I clean/wash it out every 3 months even though the filter minder never shows, but I like to putz around. Sure makes that turbo sing!
q
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go this route I got sick and tired of always cleaning filters I lived on dirt roads and this big guy would go all summer before needing a blowing out