Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air filters: Whose flows better than stock??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filters: Whose flows better than stock??

I've seen some of the long threads about K&Ns and such but what I want to know is are there any filters out there that flow better than the stock one? I did the unmentionable today and drove about 10 miles with no filter in the airbox to see if the filter-minder would still suck down. It did not! That tells me that the filter itself is the problem. I have always run K&Ns but I don't want to have any warranty issues with the dealer. At the same time, if the minder is being sucked down so easily (after only a couple miles), then this must be robbing me of some HP because the engine cannot breathe properly. Does Cummins make a better air filter? I really don't want to buy a BHAF right now.
???
Old 05-24-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Re:Air filters: Whose flows better than stock??

IMHO there is the BHAF for the guys with no or rmoderate bombs (like me ;D ) and then there is the Scotty. Cummins Austria told me that the BHAF is recommended for the ISB in industrial applications. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Banned

The BHAF. ;D
Old 05-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Does the BHAF fit the '03s ?

Talk to Rod about the Scotty Ram Air 3.
www.wildcatdiesel.com
Old 05-24-2003, 08:31 PM

The AFE Mega-Cannon flows more cfm than any other filter available for our trucks.<br><br>Doug
Old 05-24-2003, 09:02 PM
cp

FWIW, it doesn't hurt anything if your filter minder pulls down. That's how you tell that it and your air filter are working.<br><br>We had filter restriction gages on all our big trucks and a new filter would, IIRC, pull something like 12&quot; H2O with 25&quot; being the point that the filter needs replacing. Perfectly normal. If you didn't see some restriction, you knew the filter wasn't installed correctly.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most part air intake systems dont do a thing on diesels because the amount of air volume that can be moved thru the engine is really determined by the turbo. In any case, K&amp;N's flow more dirt and air than the others, so decide what you want, more protection from engine wearing particles or .5hp gain and more engine wear... :
Old 05-25-2003, 12:29 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=15089;start=0#141785 date=1053826308]<br>The AFE Mega-Cannon flows more cfm than any other filter available for our trucks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The aFe filters themselves flow better than the K&amp;N or comparable products, the MegaCannon air system does not.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-25-2003, 12:41 AM

I tried the K&amp;N in the stock box, and the BHAF. I now have the Scotty II. There is no comparison.<br><br>I never tried the AFE Megacannon.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:34 AM

So I guess most of you are either running a BHAF or have just decided to live with the stock unit which has too much restriction....<br>CP, it is my understanding that the filter minder is supposed to start pulling down when the filter becomes restricted. This is the way it has worked on the last 8 or 10 vehicles I've owned. It just seems strange that it starts pulling down when the truck is brand new. I understand that the airbox is tight and everything is sealing properly but then the filter minder should not be so sensitive. IMO<br>I'm not going to buy a BHAF right now. I just want a better filter....
Old 05-25-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Dodgezilla: Maybe you should swap the filter minder with another truk just to see whether it isn't just acting up. It seems to me that you are the only one on this board who noticed the filter minder being sucked down on a new stock truck. So I'd try swapping the filterminder or changing the filter as a first measure. Had some air filters clogged when the cars were left running while spray wax was applied by a dealer..... : <br><br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-25-2003, 07:30 AM

Rod,<br><br>The Mega-Cannon filter is mad by AFE and yes the filter mediums from them outflow stock or K&amp;N. But what I said is the Mega-Cannon flows more than any filter available for our trucks..... This is in fact true, unless something new is now avaiable that I am unaware of. We are not speaking of filter mediums we are talking about filters available for the Dodge CTD.<br><br>Doug
Old 05-25-2003, 10:31 AM
cp

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=7;threadid=15089;start=0#141867 date=1053858877]<br>CP, it is my understanding that the filter minder is supposed to start pulling down when the filter becomes restricted. [/quote]<br><br>That's sort of correct. But even the largest, brand-new filter offers some restriction--that's how they filter. Then they will pull down even more as they become restricted by dirt. If you can't detect restriction on a new filter, either you're measuring system is too coarse or you have a leak.<br><br>We had dial-type gages in the instrument panel to measure air restriction. You could watch restriction rise and fall as the turbo worked. As I said, a new filter would pull about 12&quot; at full power. A filter ready to be replaced would pull 25&quot; and you could not tell any power reduction between the two.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:46 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=7;threadid=15089;start=0#141868 date=1053859135]<br>It seems to me that you are the only one on this board who noticed the filter minder being sucked down on a new stock truck.[/quote]<br><br>Actually, this is a common complaint of many 03 RAM owners. Given that we've seen EGT reductions on stock trucks with the addition of an air unit, it leads us to believe that the stock unit (or filter) is a little restrictive, even at stock power levels. The addition of a panel filter seems to relieve the filter minder's tendency of being pulled down, but it doesn't seem to reduce EGTs, so I would be willing to say that both the system and the filter contribute to the restriction.<br><br>Rod

Quick Reply: Air filters: Whose flows better than stock??