Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Losing Prime. (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing Prime. (i think)

So i just got done putting the new head on, a new cam, twin turbos and a bunch of stuff! Fired it up yesterday for the first time and it took a while, which i expected, got the cam broke in and drove it around the block a few times. I got home and parked it for a few hours and went out and did the first re torque on the studs. After i torqued i tried to start it up again and it was like i had never started it. Cranked for almost a minute puffing white smoke, sputtered and finally started. When its running its smooth, and when i was driving it it was smooth. I made sure all the injector lines were tight at both the injection pump and at the connector tubes, checked the return lines, they were tight as well. Im kinda at a loss! I was thinkking about replacing all the o rings on the tubes and injectors, as well as the copper washers on the injectors. not sure. Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

My last injector swap went like that. Had to basically do it over again. New copper washers and all new o-rings. For whatever reason the copper washers did not seal. Make sure you torque the injector down completly to 96 in/lbs before you tighten the injectors lines. It was suggested on here to alternate between injector and line and tighten them down together and I think all that does is cauk the injector in the head and cause the copper washers to not seal.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM

So you torque the injectors before you put the tubes in?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Yes that is the one thing I did different the second time and the truck starts like it should. Tubes in or out shouldnt matter just dont start the lines on or start to tighten the lines until the injectors are torqued.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM

you guys think thats what it is or should i look for anything else
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Did you do anything else to the fuel system while you were doing all this work? Problems usually come from things that have been recently changed, so if you messed with the low pressure fuel system, I'd scan that to make sure the fittings are tight.

I can't see poor sealing copper washers causing a hard start in that short of a period, but thats not to say it won't. I had a leak on my #1 injector line for quite a few months, and it never even gave me a hard start, let alon after it sitting for a couple hours.

You might want to crack each line at the head once you get it running, just incase there is some air still trapped in there. If that doesn't resolve it, and the LP fuel system checks out, then you may want to reinstall your injectors.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Keep a close eye on your oil level. If you are making oil you have an injector leak. When I put my FASS system on years ago I had a very small leak where the fuel line went into the VP causing me to lose prime. Eric
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

I couldnt let mine sit for 10 mins. or it would have to completly reprime the injectors. Leaking copper washers causes a myriad of problems including pressurizing your fuel tank from cylinder compression and it basically introduces air very QUICKLY into the high pressure side as well as the return side of your fuel system.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM

im thinkin ill just replace all o riings and copper washers and rubber washers on everything! ill be in there adjusting the valves anyways! hopefully that will fix my problem! does the oil just look and feel thin when fuel is leaking in? i didnt notice any rise on the dipstick but i thought it was a little thin. thought it was maybe the break in lube i put on the cam, now its got me wondering!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

i had the same problem one time when i changed injectors, i changed the fuel filter at the same time and i made the mistake of using a half inch drive ratchet on the fuel filter lid and i cracked it when i put it on and didnt even know it, put on a new top and worked fine, i now use a socket, live and learn.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM

I changed all the washers and o rings, and it is still doing it. Im at a loss at what to try next
Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 PM

check the fuel return line banjo fitting at the back of the cylinder head, make sure its tight and the gaskets are good
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 PM

I did that also. I made sure everything was real tight and put new rubber washers on everything.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 PM

you must have air getting in that system somewhere,no fuel leak anywhere?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 AM

none. how can i check the return valve in the vp? or can it be checked?

Quick Reply: Losing Prime. (i think)