Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Locating good Gauges!...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locating good Gauges!...help!

Ok, I'm looking at getting about 4 gauges.....Pyro, trany, boost, and fuel pressure. I'd like them that light up blue, also want them all to be the same and match not mix them up. I have one question, I've located about 2 different ones from Auto Meter and they are elecrical, and WAY expensive. It's gonna cost me $765 for just those 4 electrical gauges!!! Should I just do Mechanical ones instead? What's the pros and cons to electrical and mechanical gauges??? Also, do the gauges come with all the connections and wires and stuff...except the pods for them??? I can't figure that one out, it doesn't say. I'm sure they probably do though. I'd appreciate the help! You guys know anywhere else that has good gauges that will match too!??? Thanks guys!

Jordan
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

Personal preference but I like mechanical for the FP. I went with an Auto Meter ultra lite with isolator but the isolator failed within a year giving false readings, tried refilling the isolator with antifreeze mix and line to no avail. Ditched the isolator, put in a snubber (needle valve) and it's been solid ever sense.

Most gauges come with everything you need at least auto meters did for me. I did have to supply some 18g wire for I think my trans gauge but I had that in the garage and not a big deal if you had to buy some. You will get the gauge, sending unit for a trans temp gauge, pyro had everything. A boost gauge you will only get the gauge, some plastic hose but no way to attach the other end. I would recommend a boost bolt from any of the online stores mentioned frequently on this site, simple, easy and done in minutes. FP gauge I ditched the plastic hose and put in a 3/8" SS braided line, I had to get a few -AN fittings to make it work but I don't trust plastic for fuel in my cab. Pretty easy install for all gauges, search and there are TONS of posts on this topic with pictures.

You can get everything for less than $500 including pillar, paint to match and a new hot line transmission line with test port. Some say to get a comp with all the gauges built in but I don't have luck with LCD displays and cold weather so I like the old fashion gauges. If one were to fail I don't have to replace everything.

my .02
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 PM

I have the Autometer Cobalt gauges. They look awesome at night. My pyro, well it's a pyro gauge, my boost gauge is mecahnical, and naturally my trans. temp. is electrical. I have those 3 in the A-pillar. I didn't want to spend that much on the Cobalt electric fuel press. gauge, so I went with a mechanical Dipricol gauge and mounted it just to the left of the ashtray on the knee panel. It has a green lighting, but you don't even notice it down there where it's mounted. I got my Autometers from Diesel Manor. I also got the Autometer LED dimmer for my gauges. Good thing, cause those things are bright if you don't dim them down. This pic was before I got my trans. temp gauge. I just stuck the Dipricol fuel gauge in the hole until I got my trans. temp. gauge.
Attached Thumbnails Locating good Gauges!...help!-my-truck-001-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 PM

Awesome guys, thanks!!! How much was that dimmer for the lights??
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM

hook the gauge lights to the illumination fuse in your fuse box and they will dim with the rest of your dash. use a expand-a-circut from any car store, it keeps the regular circut fused and gives you a hot wire that is fused as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM

The pyro and tranny gauges are the only ones that I would get electrical. The others would be mechanical. DiPricol has some nice white face gauges with blue leds and blue pointers. Check out dieselmanor.com. +2 on the instrument illumination circuit for power.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM

How much was that dimmer for the lights??
About $30 I think. I wanted to be able to control the gauges separate from my dash lighting, that's why I went with the dimmer.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you get the dimmer at? does it work for all guages?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jturs
where did you get the dimmer at? does it work for all guages?
http://www.dieselmanor.com/autometer/AM-9114_dimmer.asp I got it from here. I think it only works on LED lighted gauges. Don't know if it works on incandescent(sp?) lights. It should work on any LED gauge.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i just got my isspro guages. will it work on them. is there another way of dimming them?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 PM

well i just got my isspro guages. will it work on them.
If they are LED, then it should work.
is there another way of dimming them?
hook the gauge lights to the illumination fuse in your fuse box and they will dim with the rest of your dash. use a expand-a-circut from any car store, it keeps the regular circut fused and gives you a hot wire that is fused as well.