Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Kumho, Nitto or others

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho, Nitto or others

I am currently trying to decide on tires for my truck, looking for a 35 x 12.50 18.

If anyone has any experience with any of these tires please let me know what you tnink.

I'm interested in either, the kumho KL-71, nitto Mud grappler, or Bf goodrich Mud terrain TA. I really like the looks of the kumho and nitto, but havent found anyone who runs them on a heavier truck yet.

I'm just curious about how these tires perform on a CTD, thanks in advance for any info.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:18 PM

IMO I wouldnt get the BF's... Friend had some and they didnt last very long. He was 50% county roads, 50% pavement. I would go with the Nitto's. All I have heard is good talk about them...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM

i don't like the BfG's at all just through them in for comparison. My terra grapplers have been excellent, But haven't heard any feedback on the mud grappler. the kumho looks tough but I can't find the specs on the tire ( load capactiy and such).
Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kemble
I am currently trying to decide on tires for my truck, looking for a 35 x 12.50 18.

If anyone has any experience with any of these tires please let me know what you tnink.

I'm interested in either, the kumho KL-71, nitto Mud grappler, or Bf goodrich Mud terrain TA. I really like the looks of the kumho and nitto, but havent found anyone who runs them on a heavier truck yet.

I'm just curious about how these tires perform on a CTD, thanks in advance for any info.
Nitto MG Are a Great Tire,They Bal well ! i Have over 50,000 On Them On a 2005 dodge , we Haul Beef On And Off The Road They Perform Very Well .

Regards,
Col.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM

You looking for off road traction, good highway manners, a good compromise tire?

Love the look of the mud grapplers, but they talk to you pretty good riding down the road but I have no clue on their durability. Terra grapplers are pretty solid compromise tire that last well and reportedly have good road manners. I'm running a Pro Comp X-terrain that have pretty decent road manners for a semi-aggressive tire. They ride well, and reasonably quiet compared to say, the mud grappler, and should last decent. Supposed to be able to get 40-45k miles out of them. I don't know yet, I've just got a few thousand on them but they ride pretty well. Mine are for a 17" wheel vs and 18 though.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:21 PM

I'm looking for a tire that lets me go where I want to, but doesn't wear out in 15K miles. I also don't want a tire that I have to be worried about carrying a load. I don't tow heavy, regular load is 8 thousand or less. I'm not super worried about noise to an extent, would like to be able to hear the radio.

The terra grapplers have been excellent, and I really haven't crossed them off the list yet.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Kumho KL-78 AT's and have been very pleased with them, thus far...maybe 5-6k and showing zero wear. It's been a good tire for the price.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
GSP

BFG mud Terrains are solter rubber than the BFG all terrains. I have Nitto terra grabbler all terains on my dodge. They roll nice and smooth but they arent wearing very well, got only 10,000 on them and they are down to the wear bars. Never again. Ill get some BFG all terrains next
Old 09-27-2006, 07:45 PM

Did you rotate you terra grapplers? I have about 30 thousand miles on mine and they are just now at the wearbars. They could have went 40k but too many prostock burnouts took a little tread away .
Old 09-27-2006, 08:03 PM

I know some other folks that like the Mickey Thompson MTZ's as well. They hook up well, and a good looking tire. I do not know what the sidewall ratings are or how well they last though. Just know a guy that sled pulls and says they hook up well.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:26 PM

I just bought a set of terra grappers and really like them compared to stock. I also bought a set of mud grapplers but have not ran them yet.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GSP
BFG mud Terrains are solter rubber than the BFG all terrains. I have Nitto terra grabbler all terains on my dodge. They roll nice and smooth but they arent wearing very well, got only 10,000 on them and they are down to the wear bars. Never again. Ill get some BFG all terrains next
Wow i Have Had No Luck At All With The BFG All Terrains ! Had Them on My Ford F250 4x4 , Just Junk Tires in My Books ! Trew Rubber off at 10k Replaced tire Again Rubber Coming Off ? Had One Tire (BFG) Blow Out With a Load on ! Ft Tire
Beat The Heck out of The Fender (BAD) Mickey Are Ok ! Do Not Wear Well Under a Load ! Again i will Stand With The NITTO TIRES ! They Do Bal So Well !

YOKOHAMA TIRES Are a Great Tire also Like i Said We Haul Cattle Every Day On And Off The Road With a Hefty Load NITTO Are The Best we Have Found So Far

Good Luck with The BFG !

Col.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
GSP

I had noticed that if you run BFG ATs at low tire pressure they can get messed up. The set on my old truck now ive kept the pressure up.

There used to be tires called Armstrong True Tracks . You could get them in 4ply no steel belt and worked good for off road with a light jeep CJ you could run them with 10 psi or less off road like a atc tire. Tryed that with my first set of BFG a long time ago and the steel belts cut into the interior belts and rubber.

I have cut side walls with sharp big rocks on BFG and destroyed them but any tire would have got slashed

Ive just noticed that the 3 or 4 sets of BFG ATs ive had always out lasted other brand tires I put on my other trucks. Just my experience though.

I thought the Nittos might be good, not to impressed though . They were new on my truck when I got it. They are 305/70/16 on 8" eagle alloys. They need to be on 10" wide rims. That could be part of the reason they arent wearing.

I want to look into the Toyos also.

Rick
Old 09-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

i wanna throw out another option for a good on and off highway tire...thats the Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain...its the newest one they came out with, i run 315's on 16" rims but they sell them in 325/65 (35") and 325/60 (33") for 18" wheels. mare holding up great to my on street abuse, and so far off road they have good manners and the lugs are open enough to clean themselves out.

they are a bit pricey for the 18" wheels tho

also depending where you buy them, you can get them for a Buy 3, get the 4th free price, and its free shipping for the next month
Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 PM

I looked on Tire Rack, those Kumhos are rated at 29xx lbs each. They look like they may be a little bit noisy. Those mud grapplers look absolutely awesome, I don't know how they perform but somebody down here at school has them (35") on his Chevy and holy smokes those babies look nice. Never talked to him to see how he likes them though...

Otherwise I've heard of lots of folks who swear by the BFG's. They aren't gonna balance very well, but they are supposed to wear really well. There has to be a reason it's such a popular tire.

Quick Reply: Kumho, Nitto or others