Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K&N vs BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N vs BHAF

Can anybody tell me what advantages a BHAF (Big hunken air filter) has over a drop in K&N and why do some say to ditch it? All help is great
Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 PM

I really don't like the BHAF its not much larger than stock and its paper. Get a AFE Progard 7 stock replacement Its better than both and its washable I have one on the way for mine. Or make your own intake like they do with the BHAF and use a large AFE but the stock filter is larger than most aftermarket kits for later model trucks. I think most like the BHAF because its big and cheep and I think you usually get what you pay for but to each there owne. Hope I don't get band for speaking ill of the sacred BHAF I know that it is very popular on this sight. Just my $.02
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like oiled filters, personally.

I went with the BHAF due to having a leaky stock airbox, you could see the dust trail going in post filter, and see where it settled in the hose from the airbox to the turbo.

Since installing the BHAF, no dust, and no oily turbo blades.

phox
Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Don't over oil the filter an you don't have that prob. Funny that a administrator would be the first to reply. It's really up to you. Over oiling is a common prob. Also you really cant compare the junk stock box to a clamp on (BHAF or AFE) my 96 did that with the stock filter and a free K&N replacement. I guess the BHAF cant be all bad if so many people swore by them. I just don't fallow so well to hard headed.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My belief is that for a filter element to flow more air than another, it must have either more surface area, or poorer filtration. The BHAF is a paper element like the stock filter, so it should offer the same level of filtration, while flowing more air due to its larger surface area.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Dead on torque fan. The bhaf should have better than stock filtration and the the k&n should have more flow. Only way to really *know* is oil analysis.

The thing I didn't like about my old drop in k&n is the way it would jump around in the box when my turbo barked.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 PM

I knew that not clamming that the BHAF was not my favorite was a loosing battle.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first gen filter is pretty much a MHAF really. So comparing the barrel filter on the first gens to the BHAF really isn't a fair fight. Comparing the BHAF to the brick filter is no comparison.

Great point Torquefan... Took the words right out of my mouth..
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM

For the most part I agree but you don't always have to sacrifice efficiency to gain performance. That would be like saying that any mod that ads power must make your MPG go down. Not so. Its all about how you do it. Design is the key. The Pleets in the stock replacement AFE are mutch larger than the BHAF meaning more surface area too. I'm not saying the BHAF is junk I just don't care for it. But I will just let this one go.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGen545
I knew that not clamming that the BHAF was not my favorite was a loosing battle.
I was just making conversation man =P I too like the afe pg7. Good flow and filtration. A replacement filter for a afe would only be like $20-30 more than a bhaf, but the stage 1 or 2 will definately cost a lot more =\
Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree in principle.. I still maintain that comparing the first gen filter to the brick style of the second gens is apples and oranges. I don't really care how many more pleats you put in the brick filter for more filter area, its still has to flow that CFM through the square area of the box. And like many others like myself have stated, the filter is not the weak link but rather the box. The large surface sealing area begs for contamination, especially under full flow conditions. Had a BHAF before the SAII and it was a definite upgrade over the stock air box both in filter area and seal ability to the engine system.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 AM

I'm just having fun. I wasn't comparing the flow of the 1st gen to the stock 2nd gen. The reference to the 2nd gen filter was saying that it was junk, to small and dose not seal well like a clamp on BHAF or AFE. I was comparing the flow of the BHAF to that of the AFE stock replacement for the 1st gen, both about the same size. I'm not getting bent out of shape and I hope none of you are ether. I know we can all go back and forth until we are blue in the face just like talking about what kind of oil we think is best ( Delo400 15-40) But I know guys that like Rotella. Find some thing you like and go with it. Its good to be able to discus out likes and dislikes with out anyone getting wound up. I love this sight. yall have fun
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 AM

been running K&N filters for many years...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 AM

ive been told by a company that builds fueling boxes that one of the main reasons that they see a map sensor goes out on a dodge was a K&N filter. I run an afe, but anything can be better than a filter that trashes sensors
Old 03-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Nothing wrong with an oiled filter if its properly maintained, but I suggest something other than K&N, I used to run K&N in all my vehicals until I heard of cummins not honoring warantee's because the vehical had a K&N. Apparently they don't meet the minimum filtration standard that cummins specifies. So I went to a BHAF because I couldn't afford a high dollar cold air setup.

Now that switched I couldn't be happier, my truck performs better, and turbo spools quicker with the BHAF than it did with the drop in K&N. If you decide on an oiled filter i would get an AFE, AEM, Airaid, Green, Scotty or the like. I want a Scotty but can't afford one til I get some other things taken care of on my truck

As for the map sensor getting fouled I can't speak for the 24v's but the 12v's don't have them so no worries there.

Later...Josh

Quick Reply: K&N vs BHAF