Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K&N for BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N for BHAF

I was browsing through the local Autozone today and ran across a K&N filter that can be used as a BHAF. Not sure what it was really designed for but works excellent for this setup. Install is the same as normal. Part # is E-1796 and was $39.99. Thought you all would like to know. Thinking of trying to route it into the wheel well to get away from engine heat. I have done this for Mustangs in the past and on the dyno it would usually get another 5-7 HP over just a K&N cone filter in the engine compartment. If I succeed I will post the results. Man that turbo REALLY sings now!!!
Old 10-07-2002, 11:47 AM

Re:K&N for BHAF

I didn't know anything about Cummins recommending against K&N usage. I have always had good luck with their filters. Anyway I already have it and it will have to stay until I get the Scotty II. ;D Fabbing up the 4" to 3" reducer is a piece of cake. As far as any air flow restrictions, it is ALOT better than the factory airbox. Also on the filtration issues, I believe I saw an independant study done and the filter filters down to 1 micron. That is better than your oil filter does. Others may be better, but for $40 I don't think you can go wrong. Just my .02
Old 10-07-2002, 08:20 PM
JR2

Try a K&amp;N RE0880. It has the correct neck on it and works fine. Lots of the guys on the other board changed to the BHAF because they did not like oiled filters and the high suction on them seemed to be pulling oil from the filter and depositing it on the turbo blades.<br><br>I have an RE0880 sitting on top of my freezer for this very reason.... <br><br><br>JR2
Old 10-09-2002, 07:49 AM

Hey guys, I'm new in the Diesel world and trying to get educated. What is BHAF and AFE?<br>Thanks,<br>Rev Ron<br>
Old 10-09-2002, 07:57 AM

Rev, BHAF=Big Honkin' Air Filter. It's basically a big round filter from a big rig which replaces the stock air box. You pull the box and lay the bare filter in it's former location. The turbo hose will fit clamp onto the end of the filter. AFE is a brand name. YOu can get a look at one here. http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/dodge-diesel/
Pull the silencer ring from the turbo and hook a BHAF on the end it, and you've got a screamin' intake.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:49 AM

[quote author=CMN_NOT_STROKN link=board=7;threadid=5630;start=0#49462 date=1034009256]<br>I didn't know anything about Cummins recommending against K&amp;N usage. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I ran a K&amp;N in the stock box for a while before I heard it too. I called Cummins and talked to one of their techs and it's not just K&amp;N. They don't recommend using ANY oiled filter. But after spending some time talking with the gentlemen and asking him WHY I came to the conclusion that it was time for me to buy my AFE Megacanon ;D they couldn't give me any reason other than what K&amp;N and AFE give. Each company warns against using in extremely dusty conditions and that's the same thing the Cummins rep said.<br><br>[quote author=CMN_NOT_STROKN link=board=7;threadid=5630;start=0#49462 date=1034009256]<br>Also on the filtration issues, I believe I saw an independant study done and the filter filters down to 1 micron. That is better than your oil filter does. Others may be better, but for $40 I don't think you can go wrong. Just my .02<br>[/quote]<br><br>K&amp;N is an oiled filter