Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just a Tease...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Just a Tease...

[quote author=Battering Ram link=board=7;threadid=18103;start=0#msg169880 date=1060352132]
The new found performance is unbelievable... I can now slip my Con FE clutch at will and EGT's are down more than 200 degrees at WOT over my HX35/HT3B setup. They are very streetable even with my TST PM3 Comp box turnd on. I think having custom chargers with balanced shafts and modified bearings helped tremendously. Balancing that 4B must have been a job. I gotta thank JR Adkins for supplying me with these awsome chargers. I wanted to get down to San Antonio and let the dyno do the talking but I don't if thats going to work when my clutch slipps at 2000rpm with my TST box on level 5 .
[/quote]

My VP44 is now scared!

What type of boost are you seeing now, andwhat injectors are you using?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:15 AM

Andrew you know what injectors I have ;D... The first test drive I had my Turbo-master set at 50psi and I was able to hit over 60psi at 1/2 throtle. Knowing my stock headgasket wouldnt like that I set the wastegate to 35psi and now I can keep it below 65psi. I know it is very capable of 80+ psi.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:10 PM

Andrew you know what injectors I have ;D...
Yeah, but how big are they these days? :P

I know it is very capable of 80+ psi.
I am sure that this setup would do more then that, and that your being extreamly conservative. ;D
Old 08-08-2003, 01:09 PM

Yeah, but how big are they these days? :P
I have a small set of EDM's that I had built for towing... I did not expect this much power out of them... now I have to start shopping for a clutch.

I am sure that this setup would do more then that, and that your being extreamly conservative. ;D
Note the + in 80+
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 PM

I have a small set of EDM's that I had built for towing... I did not expect this much power out of them... now I have to start shopping for a clutch.
Didn't know if JR had punched them out for you anymore, he is good with that. ;D

Note the + in 80+
Can't wait to see more from this setup you and JR cooked up. 8)

Can you tell us more about the "custom work" done on the 4b? ;D
Old 08-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Banned

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=7;threadid=18103;start=15#msg170083 date=1060369015]
Didn't know if JR had punched them out for you anymore, he is good with that. ;D

Note the + in 80+
Can't wait to see more from this setup you and JR cooked up. 8)

Can you tell us more about the "custom work" done on the 4b? ;D
[/quote]

So horace what do you think of spoolup with the HT4b?? The Hx40 will be a lil restrictive in the high RPM range. But we can fix that. If you were an auto truck I would have suggested a 16cm on the 40 for faster spool-up. The manual trucks like the 18cm housing.

This set up should be good up to 85 psi with ease and still make cool boost. Of course your not equiped to handle that much until the head is set up properly.

The HT4b has been used as a single charger on tractors @ the 85 psi level for a full season worth of pulls. It is a very tough charger!! The inturnals on both chargers are fully moddified. And both are Zero balanced.

The attachment here is of the HT4b on the left Ht3b in the center and Schwitzer S-300(H2e) on the right.

J.R.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:32 AM

Hmmmm, guess I will have to try a setup that is close to see for myself since Horace won't give me a ride.

Horace, what do you think is the reason for the turbo being able to spool faster then the ht3b setup you had before?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:24 AM

I have a couple of theorys... one the compressor on the HT4B is so big that the HX40 can actually pull the air through it and therefor the HT4B doesn't slow down the 40 by creating a vacume in the crosstubes. Another one is that I was using stock turbos before... now both turbos are completely modified for faster spoolup. Also the exhaust housing on the 4B is quite small compared to the charger to help spool that big daddy up. I need to take backpressure reading to see how good I am doing in that area also.

Horace
Old 08-09-2003, 01:12 PM

I'd love to see the drive pressure also, let us know what you find out.

You say you got these from JR, I know that you WERE working with Al at PDR for a while on an HX60, what changed your mind to go with a bigger charger?

Andrew
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM

Andrew why dont you try SOMETHING like this setup. :P
Old 08-09-2003, 06:20 PM

Sean,
Shut up or I might. 8) :P ;D

Horace,
Any word on when you'll dyno with this new JR setup?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

Why would you want to try that 3 charger setup in the picture? That's a 2 stage setup and they got it backwards!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:17 AM

Triple charger setup that has never been seen since!

Horace, that is some good info you have there, we all know that big fat chargers work better as they keep the air charge cooler but problem was spooling them up and it seems you have the deal working, now all a guy has to do is weight out the costs and were he wants the power, One thing that would have been nice to see is the differnce in the air temp at the hat.

I've got a whole new twist on the water injection but I need to dyno one more time for before and after data, I've got the temps down lower than ever before with 1/2 the water.

The truck is down now......I shear'd the hub for the direct clutch pack in the tranny.......no Andrew it won't happen with the billet stuff as it was designed to eliminate this from happening.......Once I get it back I'll write a story about the tranny........you wouldn't believe how good of shape it was in.

Jim
Old 08-10-2003, 12:49 AM

Just be prepared to see bigger turbo's in the future!

Merrick Cummings Jr

BTW: Great Job Horace!!
Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 AM

[quote author=BULLWAGON link=board=7;threadid=18103;start=15#msg170574 date=1060479467]
Why would you want to try that 3 charger setup in the picture? That's a 2 stage setup and they got it backwards!
[/quote]

Bull,
If you look back and find when those were first posted, you'll see that I didn't think that setup would work either. Just ment triple chargers in general, it was a joke really between Sean and I. :-X

Horace,
Do you have an pics of that setup without the HX40 inplace, so we could see just how snug of a fit it was between them?

Andrew

Quick Reply: Just a Tease...