Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

just bought some ebay projector lights and need hid info

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought some ebay projector lights and need hid info

i finally got so ****** off with my horrible lighting stock headlights that i bought some halo projector lights.

has anyone used an hid kit in the highbeam location yet? i need to see moose and or deer. our nearest town is 4 hours south so i do a lot of driving with no one around. (good ol alaska highway)

and this way if i run it in the high beam location and someone is coming i can turn the high beams off (hids) and i won't be blinding them.

also does anyone know if these ebay lights come with the bulbs for the projectors? i honestly have no idea.

thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM

the set i bought came with bulbs the lights came with a sticker on the back saying not for use with hid
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM

yeah because then it makes it illegal. but its bright as hell.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM

are those lights the really nice and spiffy lookin ones, i might of bought the same lights, the suck so bad i switched the wires to run the brights all the time
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
accually it's not "illegal" as technically the halo's and projectors aren't DOT SAE rated..... the cheap ebay lights cannot handle the heat of the HID's FWIW
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM

If the projector wasn't designed for HID, it won't respond well to HID. Hence, illegal. TYC made some projectors that responded ok to HIDs, they are DOT legal projectors for halogens. HID's run cooler than halogen bulbs and draw only 35 watts instead of 55.

I'm in the process of finishing up my HID retro. Can't wait. Hopefully this weekend but maybe next. I'll be running OEM BMW projectors with HIDs in the sport headlights so I'll have an extra 9004 halogen bulb in each headlight as well. It's going to be some INSANE light...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
HID's run cooler than halogen bulbs and draw only 35 watts instead of 55.
you might want to check back up on this. it is true that HID's use less power and are less of a strain on the stock wiring since the ballast increases the voltage and acts as less of a load than a standard Halogen bulb. BUT what i was refering to is the temperature of the bulb and the heat it emits. i have seen lenses melt from HID's before. Halogen bulbs use a filliment that glows to make the light output. HID's creat an arc (hence the ballast upping the voltage) and this arc in a sealed bulb of xenon gas creates more heat output and more light output. if you don't believe me replace one headlight with an HID unit and one with a Halogen unit. turn them on and stand infront of each one. the HID will be a lot hotter than the conventional halogen. it's hard to have something that uses lower power (watts) has a lower temperature, and puts out ~3 times the lumens of light output.

halogen uses more power for less output and less temp. compaired to the HID's that use less power for more output with a higher temperature.....
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Maybe you're right. I've always believed HIDs run cooler. I felt like it ran cooler on my Accord as well. I touched the headlight and it wasn't very hot at all.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM

which size bulb goes into the projector section? i know its 9004 for the high beam (the non projector hole). my hid's should show up this week. i'm not worried about heat.. out weather doesn't get warm enough for anything to melt.

i'll take some before and after pics for the truth i guess.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

most projectors i've seen use an H-1 in both high beam and the projector.... there is an adapter harness where it plugs into your existing wiring.... please post up before and after pics so we can see how they hold up to the heat that builds up in the enclosed assembly....