Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed new turbo....PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be a lesson learned, not to use the U-bolt clamps.Use flat strap clamps,they will not crease the pipe, and you can seperate the down from the other W/O too much trouble.WD-40 will be your friend.!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:05 AM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I cut the old downpipe with a plasma cutter. Pretty sweet machine. It took a while to get things back together but ran into one problem in regards to bolting/mounting the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

I was able to install and tighten the front two bolts/nuts provided along with my HTB2 turbo. I also was able to install the rear manifold bolt on the compressor side but I was not able to get the nut started on the stock rear stud on the turbo side.

After a closer inspection, it seems that the stock rear left orig. stud was either too close to the new turbo wall to allow the nut to be installed on the sutd meaning I have a cleaenace issue or if the orig. rear studs are too long.

The stock stud is M10x1.5 pitch not sure of the length, probably around 40mm but the nut, of course is M10x1.25 with the outside diameter at 15mm. I probably need to find a nut with an O.D. of around 12mm or 13mm.

Has anyone run into this problem when trying to install a HTB2 turbo?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 AM

"Gas is something you pass through your A..., NOT your Truck... Got Diesel !!!" just saw that hahah thats a good one!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by vrj
I cut the old downpipe with a plasma cutter. Pretty sweet machine. It took a while to get things back together but ran into one problem in regards to bolting/mounting the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

I was able to install and tighten the front two bolts/nuts provided along with my HTB2 turbo. I also was able to install the rear manifold bolt on the compressor side but I was not able to get the nut started on the stock rear stud on the turbo side.

After a closer inspection, it seems that the stock rear left orig. stud was either too close to the new turbo wall to allow the nut to be installed on the sutd meaning I have a cleaenace issue or if the orig. rear studs are too long.

The stock stud is M10x1.5 pitch not sure of the length, probably around 40mm but the nut, of course is M10x1.25 with the outside diameter at 15mm. I probably need to find a nut with an O.D. of around 12mm or 13mm.

Has anyone run into this problem when trying to install a HTB2 turbo?
With my II turbo, I have to start the two lower nuts before I can push the turbo up against the manifold flange. Get the turbo started on the studs just far enough to see a thread or two, then put all the nuts on.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 AM
vrj

Tate - Yes I thought about that back when I was installing the turbo but since I was loosing daylight fast and I had not help, I had to go with only 3 of the 4 manifold to turbo bolts.

The turbo/downpipe combination gets heavy fairly fast when trying to lift and tighten the nuts onto the studs or inserting the bolt and trying to attach the nuts.

I did pretty good doing it all by myself skirting sunset.

Thanks for the tip. I plan on purchasing a 10mm x 1.5mm nut with a 12mm or 13mm Hex Head from a local shop this week.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM
vrj

I found a place that has 10mm x 1.50mm nuts with a Hex Head size of 14mm. This will help some when I remove 2 of the 3 bolts left and lossen the last bolt to tilt the turbo and pull down to start the nut.

Also, I used Anit-Seize on my bolts/nuts as well as when I joined my downpipe to my orig. 4in MBRP with band clamps.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by vrj
Thanks for the exhaust manifol info. and yes they are 8mm x 1.25 pitch. Got the turbo off and coated my new bolts with Anti-Seize but I guess today wasn't the day for me.

I couldn't get the MBRP downpipe seperated from the main pipe. I tried all day and was frustrated to say the least. I don't want to cut MDRP downpipe because I want to save it but I guess I have no choice.

Before I cut the downpipe (next weekend), has anyone disconnected the downpipe from the exhaust pipe without cutting either pipe? If so, what method did you use?
Wat kind of clamps u using. When u put it back together use band clamps they seal better and they dont bend the pipe so u can get it apart easier
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM
vrj

I've got band clamps. When the MBRP pipe setup was installed, they came with U clamps.

Also, just got my new Mangaflow 36in muffler. Installing it this weekend.