Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I feel that I should have won.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel that I should have won.....

OK, don't kill me too bad here, but I thought I should have beaten this guy. I just installed a #10 plate and have been messing around with the AFC. I have ended up with the plate full forward, star wheel a bit back. That combination seems to work the best. I get a good puff of smoke at take-off, but it cleans up pretty fast as the turbo spools up, starting around 1600 RPM or so, topping off at 30+psi.
On the freeway, passing a guy in the left lane going 62. As I pass, not really nailing it, he hits it, so do I. We are even all the way, no gain, no loss. I thought I should have out run him. I know that there is a limitless amount of mods, and I will do more, but I thought my start would have produced better results.
Oh yeah, it was a Hyundai, SUV type.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure your govermor hits the plate? i really doubt it, since a 0 wont work in a 215 unless the gov arm is adjusted,, to ride higher...

each 215 with a plate i have seen smokes even at high rpms,...

we had a 215 prob, not smoking at high rpm and not much power, only at low rpm. so we had to adjust the governor...

if the governor arm runs under the plate,,, you loose power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they have like a 3.5L V6 with dual OH cams and 4-valve heads (Sante Fe); They only make 200-ish HP, but the vehicle weighs nothing next to your truck. The Kia SUV is running 260-ish HP, heard they're pretty quick....
Old 06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

The plate is a # 10. When I installed it, I looked to see where the governor arm was hitting. I would move the throttle cable by hand and watch the motion of it as it moved forward. It seemed to start to make contact about 1/8" above the bottom of the plate. If this is not a correct way to check it, please advise.
I haven't really checked what engine combinations the Hyundai has, but if they are quick, then I can't complain
I blocked the wastegate, and there was a huge difference in acceleration. Seems to put out a bit more smoke, but since it was evening, it was hard to tell. My boost did hit 40 very easily. From what I have read, it is too high.
Thanks for the replies, always looking for help.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
The plate is a # 10. When I installed it, I looked to see where the governor arm was hitting. I would move the throttle cable by hand and watch the motion of it as it moved forward. It seemed to start to make contact about 1/8" above the bottom of the plate. If this is not a correct way to check it, please advise.
I haven't really checked what engine combinations the Hyundai has, but if they are quick, then I can't complain
I blocked the wastegate, and there was a huge difference in acceleration. Seems to put out a bit more smoke, but since it was evening, it was hard to tell. My boost did hit 40 very easily. From what I have read, it is too high.
Thanks for the replies, always looking for help.

I have the same problem with my governer arm

I cannot remove, well have not been able to remove the screws at the back of the pump to actually adjust it. Your shutdown solenoid needs to be in the start, or up position tho, as i understand it, and as long as the governer arm does not go under the plate you shouldnt have any bogging down or power loss, i run my 100 only 2/3 forward for my lack of being able to adjust the governer arm.

Proper procedure can be found on pdr's website

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm

Rick