Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hybrid Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid Boost Controller

Has anyone here ever used the Dawes Device hybrid boost controller?
Just wondering what it might do for my 96 to get the boost up and off the line a little quicker.
Also I read an earlier post that says more fuel equals more boost. It seems that we want smoke for more power. I've adjusted my star wheel but i'm barely getting any smoke at all. Just a small puff when I hit the accellerator from a standing start. If it is true that I need more smoke to get more response just how much smoke do I want from adjusting the star wheel?
Or am I reading it all wrong?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Banned

You need more fuel to spool the turbo quicker/higher. Smoke is unburnt fuel. Ideally, you don't want any smoke at all. To me, it sounds like your truck is doing just fine. Do you have any gauges?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:25 AM

No gauges yet. That's in the very near future. I need to find a triple Pillar pod that matches the gray interior of my 96 2500 and decide on what brand of gauges to buy. Boost EGT & Trans. temp.
here is the web page for the Dawes device.
http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html
Old 09-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Banned

That looks like an expensive boost elbow. A turbo master does the same thing except it's much easier to control the boost. I'm also not sure it would work on our trucks since it said that it will up boost over 17 psi. Our trucks push 20 from the factory. If all your getting is a puff of smoke and then nothing, I'd say it's time for a little more fuel. A slight haze at WOT and max boost is a good balance of air and fuel. Get gauges first though before you up the fuel anymore.

I don't know anyone who makes a grey pillar cover. Most people either leave them black or spray paint them. As for gauges, I really like my ISSPRO's.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 AM

I was hoping that someone made them to match the interior.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

As far as I know, you can only get a color match for ford. Not dodge. Don't ask me why.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call Chase at West Texas Turbo Diesel-for 300 buck you get the A-pillar, and the three guages, he also color matches them to your interior color! He is a very nice guy, and did a great job for me!!

PHONE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDRESS:

West Texas Turbo Diesel
601 South Irving
San Angelo, TX 76902

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-MAIL:

Chace Aldridge: Owner & Operator
chace.aldridge@verizon.net

Old 09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

I stand corrected. Wish he had that when I was looking for mine. I might have to get a new pillar pod. Anyone know if there is a 4 gauge pillar for the dodges? I've seen them for the fords and there looks to be enough room for a fourth on ours. I might have to play around with it a little. Hmmmm. So many things to do, so little money.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The interior matched paint from Mopar is on only $6 or $7 a can.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM

Yea I may have to go that route but I would prefer for the plastic to already be that color. That would be less work and time for me.
I'm kinda lazy when I wanna be!
Old 09-22-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an artical I just read on the turbo master.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rbomaster.html

1996 Dodge 2500 with 4” exhaust, K&N air filter, #8 cam plate and a built stage V auto trans.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:12 PM

Has anyone here used the Turbo Master???
Old 09-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a TurboMaster on my truck, I like it a lot. I just installed bigger injectors this weekend, it was nice to be able to turn up the boost with a 1/2 inch wrench. What would you like to know about it?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:11 PM

Dawes works GREAT on gassers. I don't see why it wouldn't be good for diesels if you can get a stiffer spring. I've asked here before, but that particular technology hasn't seemed to reach this market. I have no idea why and would be curious.

All it is is a spring-loaded ball valve that open up line to the wastegate at a predetermined point. If the boost bleeds off, it closes again.

Cost is about the same as a boost elbow. You can read all about the various manual boost controlers at www.z31.com. Several folks make copies and there's even instruction to make your own out of off-the-shelf fittings. for about $10.

CAUTION: you will still need some type of boost fooler if you set it to open above 20 psi.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:19 PM

Wanna,
Just wondering how much it helps and is it worth the cost?
Does it allow it to spool up faster, will it give me more pulling power even if I don't change fuel plates or even adjust my stock one?
I pretty much want to know anything you can tell me about it.
Pros cons or indifferent.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Boost Controller