Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hx 35/40 wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hx 35/40 wastegate

I've done alot of searching but can't seem to find the info. How do you enlarge the wastegate and by how much. I've also read somewhere about removing the divider between the front 3 and rear cylinders. Is this done on the manifold or turbo. Will port matching the two help, or is all this a waste of time.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Hi fattymak: I have been waiting for someone to chime in on your request, as I don't have all the answers either. But let me tell you this. On ebay you can get a "flange" made out of 1/2" steel that would leave the gap between your turbo & exhaust manifold without doing any grinding. nice part if you didn't like the way it ran, remove adapter & you are right back to stock. I also have been waiting on this answer, as I have a lager turbo inlet than the 5.9L exhaust manifold which would require adapter. Your question to port matching is as such. Any time you can create flow without turbulence makes it better. But unless you are racing or using your truck for high performance, the minute gain is not worth it on a every day driver. Your next question on waste gates is again not worth a daily driver but if you want to do it, OK. Depending on your money, you could have it done at a machine shop which has a mill machine, or the poor boy way with a dremel. Again not worth it on a daily driver in my opinion. That right foot will control your boost by getting in or out of the throttle.
Hope this helps you some.
Happy Truck'n/Ron
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM

fattymak: Go to search, type porting or drilling and you will have plenty to read. I stopped because eyes got blurry. Will continue later as I believe my answers came from there.
Happy Truck'n/Ron
Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 AM

If you enlarged the wastegate, port matched and modified the divider how much if any egt reduction would you get. 50-100 deg?? I don't care if it runs any better, just trying to get my heat down a bit.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Again, go up to the "search" type in wastegate, you will find your answer. You may have to go through several threads before getting the right one. But yes they did cover the topic on egt, and some claim to have lowered as much as 200 degrees, but then again it really depends how one drives. Some also claimed to loose boost, others said they gained a couple of psi. A must fun reading.
Happy Truck'n/Ron
Old 04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned

on the hx35 only half of the 6 cylinders get waste gated. I do not know how much power can be gained by matching it. Most people port match only and get rid of at least part of the middle divider inside the turbo/