Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How to Lower Egt's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't tell the miss's. As long as the paint doesn't change color she won't know the difference.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by siebertl
...All I did was add a 3k gsk and a #10 plate. I thought this was a mild upgrade in power....
That is true, if you install the plate in the stock position. You have it full forward, which creates an excess fuel condition. When not used in the stock location, you must experiment until you find where moving it farther forward yields no more power, just more smoke. Full forward is not the ideal position for a truck with stock turbo.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:36 AM

Interesting, just for clarification, when we say full forward we are talking about moving it toward the radiator, correct? That is where I have it.

Now I have a question about smoke versus EGT's and Power. I have never had a lot of smoke at all. I will see a puff when I stomp on it or when I'm passing someone at 70 mph. Other than that, it doesn't smoke. I do however have the plate moved full forward, I think. Also, when I went to put the plate in there was not one, still no smoke. Did the previouse owner adjust the AFC and star wheel way out of range?? What does no smoke mean in terms of EGT's? Will they go down a bit if I have a little more smoke? Am I getting full effect of the power by having no smoke??
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's your governor arm adjustment? If you move it up on the plate a bit, you'll defuel a little sooner at higher RPM's with your #10. You may have to slide the plate back a bit too. I had to. I hate driving watching the pyro constantly.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 AM

I just put it back to where it was when I took it off, I'd say it is farther forward, toward the radiator. Can you explain the afc/starwheel placement a little more. I understand the afc is a macro adjustment and the wheel a micro adjustment, but what is the difference between full forward afc vs full back afc?

Is full forward AFC more or less smoke?

Is full forward AFC more or less power?

Is full forward AFC more or less EGT's?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 AM

Just went over this again, sorry, you were talking about the governor arm. I guess I was thinking of a different subject. The govenor arm is adjusted so it hits the plate at the bottom, I believe it is adjusted properly. But with my mods shouldn't I be getting more smoke? Could no smoke be a source of high egt's?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the benefits of a 10 plate is that they're infinately adjustable. If you move the gov arm up a bit it will fuel more at low RPM and reduce EGT's at high RPM.

Think of it in terms of sliding the plate. When you slide the plate forward, the gov arm moves forward increasing fuel. So if you position the gov arm higher on a 10 plate it's farther forward at lower RPM and farther back at high RPM as it slides up the plate.

Your AFC and starwheel are for pre-boost fuel control only. Sliding the AFC full forward and moving the starwheel forward should give you a lot of smoke at take-off. Smoke is unburnt fuel. Too much smoke will "put the fire out" as Piers told me when I was in there once.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Hmmmm,. maybe I'll move it up a bit, but after I get it timed so I don't have to mess w/ it again.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM

pull that fuel plate back some. you shouldnt notice any real loss of power. Your turbo is probbaly hitting like 43pounds of boost. Thats kinda bad for that guy. try the plate at 3/4 forword. Also when you rebolt your AFC housing on push the housing all the way forword then tighten it down. All trucks are diffrent of course but That seemed like a good place to start on my 2 98 12valves. good luck
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You must experiment. All trucks are different. You will find a combination that works for you. Make SMALL changes in position of fuel plate, AFC housing, gov arm, star wheel. Instant gratification is not possible.