Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help Me Build my 12V for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you still build 36psi with reasonable egt's? If not, you may have blown a boot off. I found a little oil residue on my boot to cause it to blow off easily, cleaned it off and hairsprayed it, no problems since hitting 60psi on stock boots.

If you can build boost with reasonable egt's you may have let off the throttle fast and chirped the turbo. It isn't the greatest thing for a turbo and can be avoided by slowly letting off the throttle if you are in it pretty hard.

Sounds like you need to tighten the starwheel a little or move the housing toward the cab a little to cut back some pre boost fuel (Black cloud on takeoff).
You said you had white smoke when you were in the throttle hard? Are you talking white white or a haze/ grey? 36psi sounds about right, did they move your timing?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BigErksG2
Can you still build 36psi with reasonable egt's? If not, you may have blown a boot off. I found a little oil residue on my boot to cause it to blow off easily, cleaned it off and hairsprayed it, no problems since hitting 60psi on stock boots.

If you can build boost with reasonable egt's you may have let off the throttle fast and chirped the turbo. It isn't the greatest thing for a turbo and can be avoided by slowly letting off the throttle if you are in it pretty hard.

Sounds like you need to tighten the starwheel a little or move the housing toward the cab a little to cut back some pre boost fuel (Black cloud on takeoff).
You said you had white smoke when you were in the throttle hard? Are you talking white white or a haze/ grey? 36psi sounds about right, did they move your timing?

Nope never even broke 1,000 in the EGT's, im guessing your right about the throttle i know i was like whoa dang and let off real fast. I will pay attention to that next time and not get off so quickly

No the smoke is defiantly white or nothing at all, and i think its more my driving habits on starts as im a dumb the clutch and pin it kind of guy

My timing was set about a year ago but i cant remember what it got set to i will have to find the invoice for the work later as the noted it for me

Cool so boost is all good then, i was just worried about the poor stock turbo putting out that much boost hahahha
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM

Yea, youre good to go. Bumping the timing will give you a greyish haze when you are into it. Did you get the gsk put in?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BigErksG2
Yea, youre good to go. Bumping the timing will give you a greyish haze when you are into it. Did you get the gsk put in?

Well its not really gray its white they are tuning it up right now trying to get optimal power out of it

Yep got the GSK put in asd well
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking for the same thing you are, "building my 12 valver to pull a 12,000# trailer". I called several shops and also emailed a knowledgable person who is a DTR member who knows alot about 12 valvers. What I have learned from this site and other sources of information is that the weakest link in our trucks {automatics} is the tranny. The engines seem to be almost bullet proof when they are maintained properly. So if you haven't already install guages so you can monitor the heat and pressure when the truck is running. Then go for a tranny over haul, I was suggested to have a goerend converter with a billet shaft and heavier clutches installed. A 3k GSK {more rpms before defueling}, 4 inch exhaust, fuel plate, and bigger injectors. Of course none of this is cheap, for me it was either trade up or modify my 95 which has 135,000 miles on it. It runs great now but not what I want when I am towing a heavy load. I used my friends 96 with a five speed to haul my fiver and mods about the same as I am thinking about and it pulled that trailer up and over Mt. Hood at 70 mph { the trailer was empty 8,600#}. One thing that was also suggested was a jake brake which I will have installed when I do the upgrades this spring. Th 96 truck I borrowed has a jake and what a handy thing to have but his was a manual shift not auto so I suppose that will make a difference. Just thought I'd chime in as you are on the same path I am on. I know there is alot of things that can be done to these trucks this is just what has been presented to me....Ray
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Reelay
I am looking for the same thing you are, "building my 12 valver to pull a 12,000# trailer". I called several shops and also emailed a knowledgable person who is a DTR member who knows alot about 12 valvers. What I have learned from this site and other sources of information is that the weakest link in our trucks {automatics} is the tranny. The engines seem to be almost bullet proof when they are maintained properly. So if you haven't already install guages so you can monitor the heat and pressure when the truck is running. Then go for a tranny over haul, I was suggested to have a goerend converter with a billet shaft and heavier clutches installed. A 3k GSK {more rpms before defueling}, 4 inch exhaust, fuel plate, and bigger injectors. Of course none of this is cheap, for me it was either trade up or modify my 95 which has 135,000 miles on it. It runs great now but not what I want when I am towing a heavy load. I used my friends 96 with a five speed to haul my fiver and mods about the same as I am thinking about and it pulled that trailer up and over Mt. Hood at 70 mph { the trailer was empty 8,600#}. One thing that was also suggested was a jake brake which I will have installed when I do the upgrades this spring. Th 96 truck I borrowed has a jake and what a handy thing to have but his was a manual shift not auto so I suppose that will make a difference. Just thought I'd chime in as you are on the same path I am on. I know there is alot of things that can be done to these trucks this is just what has been presented to me....Ray
I have a 5spd manual so im good to go

I need to crank down some of my boost clamps though i can hear the air just whistling like no tomorrow through them

So far my clutch seems ok but time will tell how long that will last