Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help Me Build my 12V for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help Me Build my 12V for Towing

Looking for some advice on mods for my 97 12V cummins for towing aroun 10K-12K on a regular basis and would like to be able to haul 70MPH up and over the passes around my area (washington state). SO lets here it, i want to know what mods and then who has the best product for that mod? im pretty new to modding my diesel
Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM

Towing 10K - 12K lbs and wanting to maintain 70 mph, you are likely to need twins, or at least that has been my experience in Colorado pulling the passes with that much weight.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Here's what I got

I don't know if you'll be able to hold that 70 MPH with 10-12K but It will definitely help.
100 plate
300 marine injectors
3Kgsk (shoulda done 4K)
15.5* pump timing
191DVs
Boost fooler
BHAF (homemade, Napa filter)
4in turbo back out the side
South Bend FEclutch
It was pretty spendy, but your gonna want the south bend clutch if you do that stuff, the stock one won't hold. I would be worried about 5th gear trying to pull that much weight at that speed up a grade. Just what I did, she sure runs and pulls hard.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Keep your 181 dv's and you will have cleaner cooler power. Stage 3 or 4 DDP injectors and twins. I built my twins for about a grand put a 26cm housing ht3b or a s475 under your stock hx35. Set your timing to 17* and put studs in, keep the boost under 45 until you o-ring the head. I had my truck over 60psi a few times on a stock head gasket and studs, didnt blow it. I can hold 40psi up a mountain and stay under 1200* egt towing 6k at 80mph. What gears do you have? I have 3.54's. If you have 4.10's you will be better at 70mph, I do 80 to keep the rpms a hair above 2k. More rpms = cooler with twins (to a point) If I drop below 1800 rpms its gets warmer and I have to let off the throttle a little. 2300 is optimal for power and egts but that puts me around 90 mph. Cops dont like that too much so I hold 80 (and it scares the pee out of people when I fly by at 90). A plate and 4k gsk are a must (grind your own plate and slide it forward). Lots of info on here good luck!

When you get new tires get something closer to a 33 and dont get a 12.50 wide, go a little skinnier. Im goin with 285 70 17's when I re rubber.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Forgot to say im on a little bit of a budget, so what should i do first to get the best bang for my buck sort of deal?

Also as far as i know the 5th gear nut has been fixed as the past owner towed a gooseneck horse trailer across the country and its got 230,000 so im sure i would have already had a problem lol

Also it has an upgraded clutch according to the past owner just not sure the brand.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 PM

hydrogen genorator...it wont take place of all the other stuff but will give yo a little more pep and better mpgs
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM

4k govenor spring kit. grind the plate to a 100 profile and slide it all the way forward. Loosen the starwheel in the afc housing a little to get off the line a little quicker. Block off the wastegate and use the pedal to keep it at 35psi. What boost are you seeing now?

Dont worry, I was on a college budget and managed to get everything done in my sig. It is just time and good deals that come by. I also built my twins less than most people pay for a single so it also depends what tools you have or who you know.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM

see sig.....
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Seeing a max boost of 28 if im lucky right now
Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Free things first: grind the plate to a 100 profile (flat all the way down and a slight curve at the bottom end). Slide it all the way forward. Loosen the star wheel in the afc housing about 3 turns (from the top hanging over the driver fender, spin it away from you.) Block off the wastegate line (clamp the line or epoxy the elbow). You should be able to get in the 35 range now. After that you will be able to have more usable power with a 4k gsk.
I ran that setup for a while and liked it alot... until I did twins.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by BigErksG2
Free things first: grind the plate to a 100 profile (flat all the way down and a slight curve at the bottom end). Slide it all the way forward. Loosen the star wheel in the afc housing about 3 turns (from the top hanging over the driver fender, spin it away from you.) Block off the wastegate line (clamp the line or epoxy the elbow). You should be able to get in the 35 range now. After that you will be able to have more usable power with a 4k gsk.
I ran that setup for a while and liked it alot... until I did twins.
Okay remember im a total newb to diesel's so i have no idea what the wastegate line even is

Also im not sure i want to grind my plate without having one to practice on first if ya know what i mean

Last but not least is it really that beneficial to go with 4k gsk or would i be alright with just a 3k its not a race truck all it does is tow other than that it sits

O and how hard is it to get the plate out and how difficult to put in the gsk?

Sorry im super new and this thing has to be reliable which is why im asking so many questions so i dont screw something up and be in the middle of nowhere with a problem
Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Gov Springs for sure,
16-17deg time
tune afc and loose plate can add one if egts get out of hand
I got a 57/65/12 and have been thinking of sending it to engenered diesel to have them put the 68cm wheel in it its a 10 blade wheel, should make for a good towing turbo.
I got some 5x.012's with more lift and higher bar with the right spray pattern from a guy named Weston Shupe smokem on comp D. 100hp and cleaner than stock ones,
put it in 4th and let her eat
Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM

do a search for what you don't understand there's alot of info on the board along w/pix & diagrams to help u.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just get the boost elbow instead of completely blocking the wastegate. It's only $30 or so and will still use the wastegate when necessary.

#10 plate
3k gsk
Boost elbow
Airfilter
4" Straight pipe w/ downpipe
and if you have any extra cash, a set of performance injectors.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by b.lee
I would just get the boost elbow instead of completely blocking the wastegate. It's only $30 or so and will still use the wastegate when necessary.

#10 plate
3k gsk
Boost elbow
Airfilter
4" Straight pipe w/ downpipe
and if you have any extra cash, a set of performance injectors.

What brand on the boost elbow would you suggest?

Quick Reply: Help Me Build my 12V for Towing