Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help Me Build my 12V for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the 4k gsk, you will upgrade to it down the road. I made my own air filter setup using the stock elbow and clamping a 5 inch air filter around the end. I stopped it from collapsing by cutting the plastic outlet of the stock intake box and putting the inside the intake tube. Made a heat sheild out of roof flashing. Everything cost me about $60 and worked great.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Im hearing mixed opinions on the 3k or 4k gsk's whats the benefits of one or the other?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Just about to order a #10 plate because i dont feel comfortable grinding my own really and its 180 bucks through my work so i feel its worth the money to have it done right

Only thing im waiting to order right now is the 3 or 4k governor springs, the 4k are on backorder and im wanting to do this fairly soon as im taking a trip over the pass in about 10 days so i can see what kind of perforamce gain i get from just this and then go from there

So i guess my question is do i really need 4k governor springs? i dont want to have to upgrade my valves for the extra pressure so im leaning towards the 3's
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Also is there any benefits to doing an AFC spring kit in the truck?

Or should i wait till these two mods are done and see what i think?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 PM

With what I have in my signature I can do the posted speed limit over white or Chinook pass with my camper on and towing my 4X on a car trailer about 18,500# with the O/D off and my EGT’s at or below 1200*.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I think I can... I think...

Here you'll find some instructions for grinding a 100 plate.
Here's a pick of one as well.

Attached is a file of a few different profiles for your own grinding. Someone here emailed it to me yrs ago.
Originally Posted by War-Jeeper
Just about to order a #10 plate because i dont feel comfortable grinding my own really and its 180 bucks through my work so i feel its worth the money to have it done right

Only thing im waiting to order right now is the 3 or 4k governor springs, the 4k are on backorder and im wanting to do this fairly soon as im taking a trip over the pass in about 10 days so i can see what kind of perforamce gain i get from just this and then go from there

So i guess my question is do i really need 4k governor springs? i dont want to have to upgrade my valves for the extra pressure so im leaning towards the 3's
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
torque Plates.pdf (23.5 KB, 624 views)
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by exploderjoe
With what I have in my signature I can do the posted speed limit over white or Chinook pass with my camper on and towing my 4X on a car trailer about 18,500# with the O/D off and my EGT’s at or below 1200*.
Sweet thats what i want to hear

I ordered the ten plate earlier and about to order the 3k governor springs in a few here, gonna get it put on next week before cruising over snoqualmie and over to pullman and back and see where i sit.

Next step will be AFE stage 2 with a pro dry filter and a 5 inch diamond eye exhaust

Then probably injectors and it will stay there for a while until the day i have the coin to do twins!

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Here you'll find some instructions for grinding a 100 plate.
Here's a pick of one as well.

Attached is a file of a few different profiles for your own grinding. Someone here emailed it to me yrs ago.

Thanks very much! But i opted for just purchasing one for cost effectiveness for my time as i work and go to school so time to learn how to do all this is limited and not having a big enough garage to fit the truck into im out in the rain this time of year
Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 PM

So now that a i got the parts who wants to come help me install them? The fuel plate seems simple enough im just worried about doing the springs myself as thats a little more involved
Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 PM

If you want to make a drive I could help you, I am 10 miles east off of I-5 exit 71
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Im actually in lynnwood, what city are you in?

How long do you think it will take ive got all day tomorrow
Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 AM

I am Onalaska.
I have plans already for both days this weekend, the following weekend is clear right now
Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 AM

1 jigawatt flux capacitor.
lol
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by exploderjoe
I am Onalaska.
I have plans already for both days this weekend, the following weekend is clear right now
Gotcha well im going to be out of town next weekend so im going to try and get it done today or tomorrow
Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 PM

for other guys reading this post, I used a 4" grinder with a poly-fan grinder disk to do mine; IT WAS FUN!!!! No worries here; it is way easier than it sounds and I think it would be pretty hard to screw it up. If you are worried, you dont need to grind the full 100 profile the first time, and can monitor your egt's before you give it the full monte...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM

Had the parts installed today, the AFC star wheel still needs a little tuning as they ran out of time cause i had to be on a job site and needed the truck

So right now i dont think im getting full potential out of my new parts.

For one i only get some black when first starting out and if i keep on it it goes white if anything at all. And the guy told me at first it was puking smoke like no other and he thinks he may have gone to far the other direction with the star wheel. What do you guys think?

Also what kind of boost numbers should i be seeing now? Fuel plate came with a new boost elbow and just today on my way to the job site just going to pass somebody real quick i hit 36 PSI and it sounded like i hit some kind of crazy blow off point i was going to ask the shop about it tomorrow.

Anywho let me know your thoughts folks

Quick Reply: Help Me Build my 12V for Towing