Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Greasel or other SVO conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasel or other SVO conversion

Interested in hearing from anyone who has installed a greasel or other vegetable oil conversion on a 12 valve, particularly anyone in Texas. How hard a job, how many miles have you logged and have you had in problems (performance or maintenance)

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had good luck running filtered WVO just by adding up to 5 gallons at fillup time. Can't tell anything different other than change in exhaust odor. No increase or decrease in smoke. I read it's recommended to cut it with about 2 quarts of gasoline per 5 gal WVO if you add more than 5 gallons at fillup because otherwise it will start making the fuel too viscous.

I wouldn't run WVO except during the warm months of the year for a number of reasons. . . gelling hazard, gumming injectors, etc. Also don't do this if you're running short trips around town a lot, save it for the highway or towing.

Vaughn
Old 08-04-2004, 06:30 AM

The negatives are (I don't claim to be an expert-by far!) if you run straight waste veg oil (WVO), you will need to switch to diesel about 5 minutes before shutting off the truck, and the same thing when starting, truck needs to be started on diesel and then switched over to WVO. If in cold weather, it gels or gets thicker in temps around 40 degrees, and the thicker viscosity (if running straight WVO) can put a strain on SOME injection/fuel pumps.

The heat exchanger thing is easy enough, you can even find a deal or two on ebay for one. For convenience sake, get electric solenoids for switching over tanks. By the way, you will need a second tank for the WVO. Still need to clean/filter the wvo before using.

I am interested in the "thinning" of WVO with kerosene, but dismissed it because of the discussions of the WVO having the potential for gumming up the rings, and maybe even the injectors/combustion chamber.

The websites to check out:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

http://www.veggieavenger.com/avengerboard/index.php

http://www.biodieselnow.com/

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Those links will keep you busy for a long while. The last link has LOTS of good links (they all do but journey to forever is kind of large and hard to navigate/find all the links).

Consider "making" biodiesel. I have done my homework and this is the option I decided was best for me. Once again do you homework and decide whats best for you. I consider it a hobby, and for 2 to 3 hours a week total (about an hour each time) I am able to make enough fuel to cover the fuel I would use for work and back everyday (50 miles). I use the biodiesel as a supplement or an additive to my regular diesel (dino diesel).

Yes, it does cut down on smoke, does change the smell of the exhaust, and it also cleans the entire fuel system (including the tank). Biodiesel is a great solvent and has excellent lubrication qualities as well. My pump/engine runs allot quieter even with just 5 gallons added to a tank of dino diesel.

If you do go with biodiesel, check out the "Dr. Pepper Method". It is a very cheap and easy way to at least "try" making biodiesel.

Lastly, it all sounds more complicated than it really is. Just heed ALL WARNINGS about safety issues. Well, hopefully you have enough info to help you out. Good luck, Kevin
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 AM

I've done alot of research already (WVO, SVO, biodiesel) but I am looking for a person who has actually done the conversion on a 12-valve. Thanks for all the info and encouragement.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM

I too considered this for my 12 valve but after reading some research done by the University of (Idaho or Missioui, I will have to look up the info again) I decided against running WVO in concentrations any greater than 20% mixed with #2.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by kd460

If you do go with biodiesel, check out the "Dr. Pepper Method". It is a very cheap and easy way to at least "try" making biodiesel.

Can you elaborate or furnish a web link?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 AM

While the 12Ver might handle the higher viscosity a good deal better than the 24Ver I don't think I'd go over 20% concentration mixed with #2 either. The right way to do it requires a second heated tank along with a heated fuel line and seperate fuel filter.

As for the biodiesel, here is the Dr. Pepper Technique.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...51&m=857600061
Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Did you have any better luck over at TDR? I seen the thread there but forgot where it was and I'm not a member there (yet) so I can't search.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:53 AM

I searched and have the same thread going over there. Did not find anything by searching and nobody has replied to thread.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Banned

Last I checked, Greasel had a very clean install on a 12 Valve. Haven't seen it in person, but i know that them old 7.3 liters run darn good on straight turkey friar oil. My uncle had one running fine in freezing cold Colorado, in altitude with no turbo and a camper in his bed. He had the greascar setup. WWW.GREASECAR.COM
I'd recommend trying it. That way I'll know whether or not it's a good idea when I get my engine...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 PM

I'm about to do this conversion on the Baja B.O.M.B.er. Stay tunned, I'm hot on this subject right now. You should see an article in Four Wheeler in the next four months.
http://fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0407_auto/