Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Frustration(s) Abound....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow If You don't Have a Chip In Your Truck....

of some kind....are YOU missing out!!!
You know where I can really tell a difference?? There's a short, fairly steep 300 foot hill right up the road here and I usually hit that at about 30 to 35 mph and if I don't step hard on it, I'd be downshifting towards the top of the hill. Now, with the chip installed, I hit the hill at the same speed and it just smooth powers right over the top....it doesn't even lug going up this hill! I can tell the power band has "expanded" with this 50hp chip, just like they advertise. I'm left to contemplate why they don't do something like this at the factory level for improved "driveability"
Also, I feel that I'm not having to press on the accelerator as hard to maintain the truck's speed. Seems like the truck going 50 mph and I'm hardly touching the gas pedal so I'm probably getting a slight improvement in mpg. Last tank, with the valves adjusted and new tires etc and I'm getting a steady 20 mpg. IF I got a slight improvement of 1-2 mpg, Id be happier than a clam at high tide!!
A 4 inch turbo back exhaust system is coming next!!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
The Guru

I would get a recip saw with a 5in blade for removing your old exhaust. Its the fastest way to cut it out. I thought the fass install was a piece of cake. Also its easier to remove the fuel tank when its empty than full. I've done both. Probably the most fun I've had is try to removing your intercooler or engine radiator. You have to remove the bumper first. Nobody told me that one and I had to figure that one out . For the most part these trucks are pretty easy to work on, you just have to get used to the way that dodge puts the truck together. Once you do it once, after that its easy. You should think about get a fuel pressure gauge on your injection pump.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips for removing the fuel tank:
Run the tank as low as you can then use a small 120VAC liquid pump to move the fuel thats left into jerry cans
Use one or two of those motorcycle lifts you see at sears and a lot of auto stores. Makes moving the tank real easy.
undo the fasteners on the wheelhouse inserts if you have them, then sneak your hand up over the frame rail to undo the clamps with a socket wrench.
de-rust and paint those tank straps while you got them down!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

this is what i use to take tanks out. It makes it easier.

and this is what we use to get to the engine stuff. Jason is doing injectors.

Even the big guys can get on it.
These photos are from my Cave during a Chapter #33 wrenchin day.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Probably the most fun I've had is try to removing your intercooler or engine radiator. You have to remove the bumper first.
I pulled the rad out of my truck, didn't have to remove anything else. Can't you just remove the front support to pull the intercooler?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
The Guru

Not my truck. I had to drop the bumper. Its about 6 bolts. The rad is swedge into the hole. I had to remove the top rad support. I could be missing something. It wont pull up. The next fun items was lifters for the camshaft. Who would design a motor that the lifters are installed from a tube inserted into the camshaft bearing area. Then drag a lifter along and try to wiggle it into a area that you can't just lift into position but has to be at certain angle before it goes into the lifter bore.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM

I was crying to my friend/neighbor about the "no lift blues" the other day when he chuckled that he was thinking about buying one, as he's a custom Volkswagon builder/owner/freak who has the money and space for a nice lift. Probably like the lucky mechanic in these pics!!!! Gosh, that MUST BE NICE!!!!! I'm looking around for some SAFE, STURDY & TALL ramps so I can at least raise it up some, but wimpy ramps need not apply here, I'm still looking.
One of the first things I ordered for my truck was the Quadzilla Commander for gauges but after waiting almost 3 weeks I find out (from Quadzilla) that it's on back order everywhere and they don't have an ETA for shipping. So instead I had em send me a new stainless steel single tube 4 inch, turbo back exhaust system for my truck. It should be here next week. But I know I need that fuel pressure gauge in this truck and will be looking around for some options right away. As I hardly ever tow anything I'm not real concerned about EGT's, boost etc as far as gauges go but that fuel pressure is important all the time so I'm going to be installing something, I'm just not sure what that's going to be yet.
I see there's a "DEALERS FIX" (pump in the tank) kit available on Ebay (like they installed on my truck) if you're so inclined. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:us

Thanks again everyone!!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 AM

We started shipping on Friday and we are planning to be caught up by the end of the week.

Just FYI. Who told you there was no ETA?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 AM

themudhog off Ebay.
I just talked to him on Friday and "after he checked with Quadzilla", he called me back to tell me that "they could give him no ETA on when the Commanders would ship". I'm not waiting any longer (I'll just install my FASS setup and be done with worrying about fuel pressure) as I've been patiently waiting for 3 weeks already. So I cancelled my order and had him send me an exhaust system instead. Seems like the person he talked to said they were waiting for circuit boards or something like that. Anyways, that's the story I got.....