Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel leak frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel leak frustration

Ever since I installed my GDP kit I've had fitting issues with leaking, the one at the stock filter housing has leaked, I'm on my 3rd fitting right now, and now the in line filter that came with the kit seems to be leaking now too. I started with the filter housing one somewhat tight as the instructions say, it leaked, so I really tightened it up, worked for a while, then leaked again, then I really cranked down on it, and still leaks.

I'm looking for some advice on which way to go, do I keep buying these fittings and hope I finally get a good one and replace the in line filter with another one? or switch fuel systems all together and get away from this style and go with a system like the "Air Dog" or "FASS". I'd rather not spend a lot of money but having leaks at $5+ a gallon for diesel is not a good thing.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use standard (white) teflon tape on the pipe threads. If the flared ends are leaking, need new fittings.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Use standard (white) teflon tape on the pipe threads. If the flared ends are leaking, need new fittings.
Not a good idea. Use teflon paste (Loctite PST) or Permatex #2.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I'll try that, the fittings that keep leaking, are the ones that can spin in the middle, and I'm thinking that is where they are leaking, as for the inline filter, obviously I just need to replace that to stop the leak, suggestion on another one? since I'm sure I won't find one like that around here.

and....another frustrating thing is that I think my fuel gauge STOPPED working I've gone 80 miles on this tank and it still shows topped off, and with my mileage I KNOW thats not right, I washed my truck today and sprayed underneath, is there anything I could have knocked loose doing that?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Actually if you use tape correctly you won't have any problems.
There are few rules...1) Theres only 1 direction you wrap it so it won't unravel when you screw it in by holding the threaded end of the fitting toward you and wrapping clockwise. 2) ONLY get it on the treads and DON'T let it hang over the end of the fitting when you start to wrap. 3) Cut it with sizers and don't tear it.