Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EZ Comp or PM3/EZ stack

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZ Comp or PM3/EZ stack

Which would be the best upgrade route for my truck?
Considering the current setup with Hybrid HX35/40, Don's 1.5 EDM's, EZ, WildCat Max flow system, Scotty II w/hole and 4" exhaust.

Looking for opinions on whether to go with an Edge Comp or stack the EZ with a TST PM3?
Are there any drawbacks of one system vs. the other?

If the stacked route, would I be better off with the TST PM3 or PM3 Comp?
I'm in the process of ordering a pusher pump now, currently never pull under 7 PSI on stock lift pump at WOT. Boost tops out at 35 PSI max. Wastegate is set to open at 30 PSI.

I figure the truck is now at 400 HP or better, just want to ability to turn up to 450 HP.
I tow a 10,000# 5th wheel with a 3,000# utility trailer behind that at times. Last summer, before the addition of the ScottyII and the hybrid upgrade the EGT would rise to 1400 - 1450.
Only had to back out of the throttle for high EGT's and corners. Now the EGT's won't even reach 1200 in a hard pull.
So far the current setup is awesome, the truck doesn't know what a hill is. Just lookin for a little more.

Thanks, Brad
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Muted User

Competition version

Brad:

It is my opinion, that the standard TST PM is entirely too lazy to add fuel. It painfully waits until several pounds of boost are up before adding more fuel. This of course, is a bit of a catch 22, cuz you need to burn fuel to make exhaust enthalpy, and exhaust enthalpy is what drives the turbine to get boost up. Remember, that standard TST PM does not get an emissions approval for adding fuel aggressively....

I would recommend getting the comp version for sure.

Kevin
Old 01-08-2005, 02:10 AM

Let me quote myself again:

"I can honestly say there's very little difference in just a regular Edge comp VS. the tst pm3 comp stacked over the reg comp in EZ mode -- I drove both of them (back to back) on my truck. With the 2 boxes stacked, the truck smoked a little more down low. However, the top end power was too close to the same to feel the difference between the two setups. Power comes on a little sooner with the tst box, but the same power is available with the drag comp. The tst box is HARSH and bucking is an everyday occurance. Not so with the Edge.

The biggest difference? Being lazy, the buttons on the drag comp are much easier to press and respond immediately. (pesky ricers beware.)

Edge 1, TST 0"

Also an update to my quoted material. I didn't know this at the time, but I was comparing the tst/ez stack to the regular comp, not the drag comp. I called up Edge once I plotted the 2 dynos next to each other and they replaced my comp with a real drag comp. Now my truck FUELS!!! With a small boost leak (only getting 55psi) I was bearly pushing 1180 on the pyro with the regular comp. I buried the 1500 degree pyro from 2500-3100 rpm tonight (55psi boost ). The drag comp pours smoke compared to the pm3 comp/ez stack. I'm very pleased!

brandon.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Muted User

I believe that totally, Joe. I am more than just slightly dissapointed with the PM 3. It is terribly lazy. Even the comp version is still lazy in my opinion and your right, while cruising, it can be a bit bucky.

Ditto from me on the buttons too, the TST buttons are horible.

I would like to give a drag comp a try, and then maybe I will have an EZ and a TST PM3 comp for sale....

Kevin
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

You'll like the Drag Comp.