Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jacobs brake for your year model activates when you let off the fuel peddal. I have mounted an additional switch on the shifter to turn it off when I don't want it on. Like once the truck stops, and your sitting at a light.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several *types* of exhaust brakes. Full closure, partial closure, pressure and vacuum operated, inline and turbo mounted.

The closer to the turbo the faster it responds. Full closure performs better (a LOT better) at low rpm than partial closure. Systems that run through the pcm are slower, the ones that run through just the tps sensor are faster (really better for stick shifts!!!)

IMO the best for a stick shift is a full closure (BD or Banks) that runs through the tps sensor so you can split shifts. If you don't plan on going over 400hp I say turbo mount for fast performance. Planning on higher, you'll need turbo upgrade, so inline is your only option. The stock turbo can support about 400hp with wastegate mods.

I recommend AGAINST using the brake as a warmup valve since finding that doing so fouled up my AIT sensor which can significantly hurt efficiency. Easy to clean, pain in the butt to have to do regularly.

If in doubt; regardless of type, exhaust brakes are FANTASTIC. You won't know how you did without!