Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ETH+ PE COMP, PM3, FMS...etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETH+ PE COMP, PM3, FMS...etc.

I have some specific questions regarding fueling boxes with respect to running them on an ETH. I do not want any “opinion” with regards to the questions, just answers with documented proof.<br><br>Here goes.<br><br>I have decided to stay with DD3’s. However I want more power to play with (who doesn’t) I realize that there is a point of diminishing returns when running a fueling box and aftermarket injectors on an ETH. This point of diminishing returns is reached before that of the ETC engine.<br><br>For instance.<br>From what I have seen over the last two years is that DD2’s and a comp make from 365-380 HP on an ETH, where ETCs range from 400-415.<br><br>Here is my dilemma. With the stock turbo, I cranked out 345 with DD3’s and a timing box. With the HX40 I gained close to 12 HP (this is expected due to my relatively mild fueling. With more fuel however I should see more gains from theHX40 with reference to a stock HX35/12) If I were to add a PE COMP, PM3, Blue Chip FMS, or a Blue Chip four wire box to my truck I am expecting only to gain 50-60 HP over my current setup.<br><br>My questions are.<br><br>What is the difference in power levels of the previously mentioned boxes when used on an ETH? <br><br>Do levels 4 and 5 on the PE COMP make any noticeable power over level 3 (greater than 10 HP) when used with DD3’s?<br><br>Does level 7-9 make much more power over level 6 on the PM3/remote when used on an ETH with DD3’s?<br><br>What percentage 0-63 on the FMS do you stop seeing any usable power increase when used on an ETH with DD3’s?<br><br>What is the optimum over fuel that can be programmed into the Blue Chip four-wire box that can be effectively used on an ETH with DD3’s?<br><br>Honestly I really don’t need all the adjustability of the current crop of boxes. A single box with 3 evenly spaced levels programmed to the most OPTIMUM fueling level for an ETH would be all that I need. I do not intend to tow with the box on. <br><br>Thanks in advance!<br><br>-Cliff<br>
Old 03-21-2003, 11:13 PM

Re:ETH+ PE COMP, PM3, FMS...etc.

Diesel Freak...I believe Vaughn Mackenzie has a BB for sale pretty cheap. Might give him an email.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:21 PM

lol
Old 03-22-2003, 12:35 AM

Every board I got to.... the same post... : :
Old 03-22-2003, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's only so much fueling an ETH VP44 is going to provide, so one box isn't going to give any more total power than another. A couple of years ago we spent an afternoon dynoing my ETH at Edge, testing different box setting combinations, completing a couple dozen pulls. I was running the old 3 level Edge box piggy backed to an EZ, DD3s, a hybrid HX35 turbo w/14cm housing (very close to an HX40 in performance, at this elevation), and 4&quot; exhaust. The combination made no extra power in level 2 and 3 over level 1. The power curves were a bit different with each setting, but total power was always the same. Top pulls were at 385 to 395 hp on the Mustang dyno.<br><br>When I asked Brett (one of the founders of Edge) if they could squeeze any more fueling out of a VP44 with their boxes, the answer was no. Was anyone else getting any more fueling out of a VP44 than Edge was ... no. They were getting the maximum fueling as could be got with any kind of decent reliability and drivability.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:13 AM

I can say wtih stage 2's that I run and the stock turbo with an edge comp box that I can definately see and feel a difference between levels 3,4,5 you can definately tell when its off level 5. I can tell you that with proof from the seat of my pants which is telling me I am accellerating faster and its also nice to back it up because I have a radar gun with laptop to judge accelleration and with the comp on to off you can see a big difference in the accelleration.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies!<br><br>any more ETH owners want to chime in?
Old 03-27-2003, 08:27 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

As Bart mentioned, its tough to gain any extra fueling out of an ETH VP44, however the TST PM3 does appear to grab a little more than the Edge Comp (we've usually seen a couple more PSI boost with the TST), while having slightly stronger bottom end power.<br><br>Dyno runs have been a little strange with the Edge Comp versus the TST PM3, on either the ETH or the ETC. They are almost always within 10 horsepower of one another, and on an intertial dyno, the Edge will normally come out on top. On a load-test dyno, the TST will be on top by about the same amount. This is when you are running stock injectors. As the injector size goes up, the TST lengthens its lead on load-test dynos, while on inertial dynos, the Edge is still usually ahead by a few ponies.<br><br>Either box is a great addition to your truck, but I do prefer the TST box for its better bottom end punch.<br><br>Rod
Old 03-27-2003, 11:30 AM

The real advantages of the PM3 and BCFMS are adjustability.<br><br>The FMS gives the most user control over when and how much fuel is delivered.<br><br>Overall hp is usually similar but often the off-peak-power portion of the curve makes a BIG difference.<br><br>FWIW,<br>Mark<br>