Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Comp questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edge Comp questions

Hello all. I have finally choosen to purchase an edge comp thanks to you guys and I would like to know if running the "pump wire" with my stock trans will it wreck it? Will it be any harder on my IP pump? If there are any any must do mods to the trans what are the minimums? Bad time of year ya know. Thanks guys and happy holidays.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wire hooked up can be harder on the trans. The reason is that it makes the motor so much stronger you will use the power. A lot of members have gone a long time without problems. It is more a question of the condition of your trans.

Hooking up the wire has caused some pumps to give it up, usually in the first 20 minutes.
What is the fuel pressure? Can you afford a replacement pump?
And do you run any fuel lubes in the fuel?
Just try running the Comp with out the wire hooked up for a few months and enjoy it if you are unsure.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:01 PM

Is it harder on the trans and IP? The answer YES
As far as the trans goes, if it lasts is up to you. Full throttle lanches in 5x5 or 5x5 pulls on big hills with huge loads will kill it, but with a little savey and a trans that doesnt already have a problem you should be ok for awhile. Raising line pressure and a new converter will greatly help out. For the IP its a roll the dice and take your chances thing (mine went in less than 5 mins) Earlier pumps seem to be worse so if yours is the original your right in the middle for odds. Bottom line if you mod anything there is a element of risk. You will be addind more than 50% RWHP to your truck so you must take that into account when you mash the peddle. You can greatly reduce the chances of big failures by having a good set of gauges prior to any mods so you can catch problems early before they cost big $$$$$ I would say the Comp is one of the bests mods for the dollar good luck
Old 12-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Banned

Minnesota-Corey,

The guys are correct, use good common sense and with a set of gauges in most cases you'll be fine for a long time. Go out and drag race it from each stop light and you'll be seeing the tranny man, not if but when.

Get a fuel pressure gauge from Dipricol or one of the new Auto Meter 0-30 psi electrics as well as a pyro and boost gauge and you're all set.

Give us a call if you have any questions, we have fielded this question so msny times you wouldn't believe.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM

Is there some means to check if connecting the pump wire is hurting the IP before it throws craps? My BD Comp lets the motor rev past 3500..is it broke?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 PM

Dumb question here but how does the extra power hurt the tranny? Is it when its shifting or is it all around? If the tourque converter is already locked up and you happen to be pulling, can you crank the box up so it won't downshift and stay in overdrive or will that hurt it to? Thanks guys.