Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Do these numbers sound correct

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes its too low. You have a crusing temperature that is about what a normal summer idle temperature is, and you have a full power temp that is what is about normal for a cruise temp.

What color where the two wires on the Thermocouple lead? What type thermocouple does the gauge say it's for? Type K, J etc etc. They might have shipped the wrong T/C type for the gauge.

KP
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned

I run at cruising speed around 800* give or take, and idle between 400* to 450* and 500* on really hot days. WOT is up between 1200* and 1350*. Sounds like the probe might either be tapped to deep or it is faulty.

Just out of curiousity, how much thread can you see on your probe before being fully threaded in??

It doesn't really sound like the gauge is bad, so it could just be something wrong with the probe................if all else fails, order a new probe and try that!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:21 AM

Just put in the replacement pyro probe sent by Geno's (awesome customer service there btw). The response seems quicker and my readings have come up by about 100 degrees. Now cruise in 4th gear at 2k RPM is a tad under 400. Accelerating moderately, I can get it to 600. I haven't tried a really hard acceleration or sustained uphill climb yet. But suffice it to say, given the feedback I got before, that these are still low.

To answer some of the questions asked, the colors of the wires are yellow and red and they are staggered. They match the lead wires to the guage both in stagger and and color. Also, the probe is a type K. As to how the probe is installed, I've attached some pics of the old probe and the installed probe, I'd appreciate any feedback on these. Also, wondering, is it possible that the way I've coiled the excess wire has anything to do with it. The only other thing I guess it could be is the gauge itself or the probe install. Any thoughts are really appreciated.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Geno's Garage again, they think the gauge must be faulty and are sending off a new gauge to try that.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 AM

doesnt look like the threads are in far enough. but i use the bung so lets wait and see what others have to say...
Old 09-23-2005, 07:55 AM

I tried the new EGT gauge from Geno's today, seems like that was the culprit, or at least I'm getting more realistic values. Idle is a solid 300. Cruise at about 2k rpm/65 mph, it's reading 650. On moderate acceleration in 4th, it peaks around 800. I haven't hammered it yet or driven up any long hills. So hopefully I'm in the ball park. One thing I read somewhere else on this site is that for the 12 valves the manifold should be tapped in the front half of the flange. I have mine tapped in the back so perhaps that could be leading to slightly cooler readings.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That sounds more like it.....FWIW, if the probe is in the rear set of runners, there will be a VERY MINIMAL change in egt. I would not be concerned about the accuracy of your egt because of that.