Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Do I need to put in high performace injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was told by many people that I had to have bigger exhaust to just run my edge juice. After being on here I learned those people did not know as much as i thought they did. I wish I would have got on here before I wasted my money on bigger exhaust. Well I guess I'll be ready for a bigger turbo one day if I ever deside to go that way. Cause I put a bigger exhaust on before I got on the forum.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Bigger exhaust is a good thing. Helps the turbo spool more quickly and consistently which keeps the egt's under control. On my truck I gained significant fuel efficiency going from stock to 4". Consistently 1.5 to 2mpg hand calced.

Before doing injectors I HIGHLY recommend you get a boost elbow to spool that turbo higher. You really probably have enough fueling for a stock turbo with just the chip, but without modifying the wastegate/boost level you won't be delivering adequate airflow. This is not nice to the engine and causes the very things that you need the guages to look out for.

Basically injectors only add more fueling. Chips usually add timing as well. Advancing the timing slightly helps power and fuel efficiency, but bumps up oxides of nitrogen emissions and causes more smoke at torque peak.

One last note: If you add injectors on top of the chip, you DEFINITELY will need an aftermarket clutch. Mine let go when I put my EZ on. Exhaust/intake and 100hp tips the stock clutch held. Added the chip and the disc wrinked. You might be on the cusp of a similar failure with just the chip.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, experienced definitely vary a great deal. My stock clutch held not only an EZ, but an EZ plus 90hp injectors.

I ran a smarty and Mach 4 injectors for almost a year before replacing my clutch, and it would still show 36psi of boost when I changed it. There was no evidence of slippage (glazing).

Bigger exhaust is a good thing, but most definitely not a *requirement*.

JH
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RV 275 injectors are so cheap I would buy new one's.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM

These are the two injectors I have two choose from. Bosch rv 275 or BD 75. I want to make my truck the most efficient for towing and mpg when not. Are 75 to big or can every thing in my sig and stock turbo handle them. I do live in CO so I do pull in the mountains some, but most of my hauling is in eastern CO. I want to make the most power without having to drive by the egt.

Another couple of questions. So in the edge juice 1 is 40 hp, 2 is 60 hp, 3 is 80 hp and 4 is 100 hp. So if I just ran injectors would 1 equal to Rv 275 and 2 be close to bd 75? I guess to be more clear will it run like the edge on setting 1 or two with just the injectors. Would Rv 275 and edge on 1 equal the edge on 3 or edge on 2 equal edge on 4. If this is the case I could put the bigger injectors in and when hauling put the edge to stock.

I'm just trying to learn and understand more on how all this works. I don't know anyone that I can talk to, that knows alot about modify these trucks. I don't want to learn the wrong stuff from a wantabe who thinks he's a truck guy. These truck cost a lot and I would rather learn before I do, so less gets tore up and cost less.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM

*Consider the exhaust upgrade a maintenance item.