Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Do I need to put in high performace injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to put in high performace injectors

If I want to put a chip in my truck, do I have to put new injectors in it too. I know i need to have exhaust and the boost elbow, but do I need performance injectors?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It depends on what your final goal might be.
A "Little kick in the pants", a good 'box' will give you that.
If you're just adding a 'box' you won't really need a new exhaust.
600 hp and goobs of torque will require many more (and expen$ive) modifications.

HP/Tq/Low ET = $$$$$$....... how fast will your checkbook let you go?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 AM

start with a box first, (one with built in gauges) then as you grow start adding injectors/ turbo, etc.
a box just enhances injectors
Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 AM
The Guru

After market injectors will allow you to make more power, without changing to much.

275RV's are cheap and will add 30-40HP.

As Nickg indicated, you'll need to get some gauges. I don't know what kinda of transmission your running? Any fuel system upgrades.

I felt my truck spooled the turbo better and my egt's dropped going from stock 3 1/2in exhaust to a 4in exhaust. 5in exhaust are noise makers.

Could just do a straight pipe on the stock exhaust, for now.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM

So just to add a chip I do not need to add a bigger exhaust, cause that is the only reason i did. Eveyone told me I needed to open it up to chip it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Everyone thinks you'll gain 40hp with intake and exhaust too, but that often falls well short. Those are generally done to help keep EGT's in check. If you're running empty, they really aren't required. I ran the stock 3" exhaust in my 12v with 140hp injectors and a 0 plate and bumped timing until I put on a 62mm turbo. It got hot on the top end, but I guarantee that was because of the stock turbo.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 AM

What is the difference between putting bigger injectors in and putting a box on it? I know the box increases fuel and controls the computer, but don't they both control the fuel? Or do they do different things?

I don't normally run my egde above tow haul cause I've heard it could mess the injectors up. To run my egde on the upper levels should I put injectors in it first, or would it be ok with out?

If I put bigger injecters what else would I need to do?
I ask all these question cause I want to learn more. Plus I put enough money into this truck I don't want to tear it up.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALWAYS start modifying these trucks with Gauges.
Fuel pressure and EGT's are a must.
Next you will see a mileage improvement and a little power with slightly bigger injectors.
Now, adding a box is next and may require trans/ clutch work.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 8seconds
What is the difference between putting bigger injectors in and putting a box on it? I know the box increases fuel and controls the computer, but don't they both control the fuel? Or do they do different things?

I don't normally run my egde above tow haul cause I've heard it could mess the injectors up. To run my egde on the upper levels should I put injectors in it first, or would it be ok with out?

If I put bigger injecters what else would I need to do?
I ask all these question cause I want to learn more. Plus I put enough money into this truck I don't want to tear it up.
think of this in its simplest terms

box controls fuel and timing, and gets the best economy from an engine

injectors add fuel only

box plus injectors, just improve performance/driveability etc

you do not need to add injectors just to run your box on a higher level

Running a box on higher levels will NOT hurt your injectors ever

wire tapping the pump is a small risk of having the VP fail,

boxes are designed to run on all settings on a stock truck, they wont hurt anything, keeping in mind if you have a pre-existing condition they will help expose it, ie low fuel pressure, failing or weak VP. as soon as you start adding other things to the mix (larger injectors) more things are required to support the added horse power

so to recap

a box plus larger injectors usually increase EGT (reason you need gauges) to lower EGT usually a bigger exhaust/ better Turbo and better intake are needed.

if your running what you have now (box or injectors or both) and your exhaust temps are too high that will be the deciding factor on what you need to do next.

so crank up the box and monitor all your parameters

fuel pressure
max boost
max EGT

let us know what your seeing for readings and we can help from there
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM

That is the reason I bought the egde juice with alttitde. It has the gauges in the monitor and you can set itto alarm you. When pressure or temp is to high or lower. I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 8seconds
So just to add a chip I do not need to add a bigger exhaust, cause that is the only reason i did. Eveyone told me I needed to open it up to chip it.
An Edge EZ woke up my '98.5. It performed flawlessly for seven years. Match that with RV275's and your at the limit of the stock auto and clutch. I prefer mechanical gauges. The Smarty Jr. is option also on the lower settings. The 24v's are loud enough without messing with the exhaust.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Sorry for 20 more questions
Ok so are rv275 a size and or are they a brand just made buy bosch? If not what is a good brand? Is that the biggist size I should really go with using the stock turbo? I want to still pull heavy with my truck without worry about the egt. Plus if I do the injectors would I need to turn my box down lower than tow haul when pulling? Would that size injectors help mpg? Or should I just stick with stock injectors? I don't know anything about injectors. Please help me.

2002 3500, 4x4, 5.9 HO, 6 speed, 4" Mbrp exhaust with high flow muffler, Edge juice w/ alttitude, Fass DDRP 02
Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Ok I found some use bosch rv injectors. I was wondering what are thing to be aware of when buying use injectors. Do I need or should I replace anything when install them. Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, as long as they are physically in good shape, you should be fine.

The main concern with used injectors is debris getting inside. Make sure they are packaged well to keep out even tiny pieces of dirt.

JH
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for RV275s and a mild box like the Edge EZ or quadzilla XZT+. This combo is cheap, works very well, gives a consistent 300+ hp, and works with all other stock parts (trans, clutch, exhaust, air intake, etc).

You DO NOT NEED a high flow filter and bigger exhaust.

I have the stock exhaust with 150hp injectors. Save your money for when you buy an upgraded turbo. The stock turbo is simply far more restrictive than the factory exhaust, so upgrading the exhaust with a stock turbo is like getting a bigger bucket for the same garden hose to dump into-- it doesn't make the hose flow any more.

JH

Quick Reply: Do I need to put in high performace injectors