Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Comp or TST pm3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comp or TST pm3

Got my gauges in yesterday and I thought I would get a few more opinons b4 I order my box. Which would be a better choice, the comp or tst? Also, Should I go with bigger injectors next or tranny mods? I'm not a real big hot rodder so I'm not too worried about dropping the tranny within the first day. Besides when the need to feel torque overwhelmes me I go out to the KW with the 550 yellow motor.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will be money ahead to do the tranny first. A good TC and VB will make the truck feel as if you have added about 50 or more HP. When I added just an EZ to my stock 99,,,, I could slip the stock TC. The longer you wait on tranny upgrades after installing a box,,,, the bigger the risk that just doing a TC and VB won't cure the damage. (more $$$) The difference in a stock tranny and an upgraded one is like night and day. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Registered

id say get the comp and and either jammer nozzles/injectors or mach injectors. but of course, the trans will need to be upgraded
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Banned

Install a new valve body into the tranny and then get a comp. Your tranny will be able to hold the comp and you'll be able to have all sorts of fun.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know quite a few guys that have had DTT do the tranny, then decided they didn't need any more power. The tranny fixed their lack of towing power and bottom end response.

I'd do the trans first. LIke you said, if you aren't that big into HP, you might not want anything more. And if you DO decided you want to go bigger, then the trans is done and ready.

I'd get the tranny done first, using EVERY possible HD upgrade available-- full billet and all the works. Then it's done with, and you never have to touch it again.

Full Billet DTT with 91% TC will change how you look at these trucks and auto trannies forever.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Banned

It will also change your marital status when your wife sees the $6000 price tag.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 AM

I would second what the others said, the tranny should be done first. If the truck has not been hot rodded, a new torque converter and valve body would do you good. While it is open have the seals and clutched replaced, and you will be good to go. Cost you about 15-1800. Then move on to the power adders.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never regretted doing a full tranny rebuild from DTT. If you do it first, and can afford the full rebuild, your truck will thank you for it...and probably save you money & headaches down the road. It has been bullet proof with all the HP add-ons I could throw at it!

If you don't plan on racing....or going over 500 hp.....than you can save about $2200.00 by not doing the billet shafts.
Personally, I prefer the gentler, smoother shifts you get with the 89% converter.

Regarding a Box - I love my TST...but I already had the EZ to stack on it. I can't argue with the savings you get from the all-in-one Edge Comp! Don't overlook the MAD ECM.
But do the tranny first and see how you feel then.

RJ
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
It will also change your marital status when your wife sees the $6000 price tag.
Definetly aggree with that. One final question. I see some of the retailers have "drag" boxes.. I gather it's more hp but is it worth the extra coin? In regaurds to the input about the tranny mods. I wanna see just how long it will hang on...might go ahead with vb though. One more thing and I'll leave ya'll be.. After the box and injectors..will bigger lines be a have to or not? Again I'm not looking to have the fastest one on the block, Where is the best source for injectors?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by sodbuster03
...I'm not a real big hot rodder...
...I see some of the retailers have "drag" boxes.. I gather it's more hp but is it worth the extra coin?...

i think you answered your own question...doesnt sound like it would be worth it to you. if you find out later it is, you can always upgrade.

INJECTORS, EDM's are the way to go...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Definetly aggree with that. One final question. I see some of the retailers have "drag" boxes.. I gather it's more hp but is it worth the extra coin? In regaurds to the input about the tranny mods. I wanna see just how long it will hang on...might go ahead with vb though. One more thing and I'll leave ya'll be.. After the box and injectors..will bigger lines be a have to or not? Again I'm not looking to have the fastest one on the block, Where is the best source for injectors?
I'd do bigger lines before going to power. I think they help with pump life (both LP and IP). They're relatively inexpensive, so you might as well do them.

I have Scotty's Max Flow fuel setup and love it. Nice, big -8AN free-flowing connectors. I could sustain 9psi WOT with mach 4s and the Mad ECM-- with the factory original LP.

Oh, and JMO, but get Don M injectors from Bob Wagner or Rip Rook. Bob is great, and I've done business with him and will again. Rip has a great reputation, but I've never personally bought anything from him. (though exhaust may change that

JMO
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

If you don't hot rod much and all you do is tow some then just upgrade the valve body. I talked to stefan at DTT extensively about what I was doing, my budget, my current power level, everything, and him and Bill at DTT both recommended just doing the valve body for now. They were right. I dynoed at 371hp and my tranny is holding great. I beat on it everyday on 5x5 and it's never once slipped on me or even felt like it was slipping. It would be the perfect upgrade for you. Not to mention that it only costs $400 as compared to $6000. While I agree that a full built tranny is the only way to go, if your not gonna do a lot of hot rodding or drag racing then I see no reason to waste the money. And heck, if all your looking for is just a little increase in power then I recommend just getting the edge EZ. It's a 65hp/150lbft upgrade that doesn't tap the wire and won't put a ton of strain on your tranny. I ran the EZ with a set of 275 injectors (about 40hp) for almost a year and my tranny never once slipped. I beat on it every day in stop and go traffic and pulling a little 2-3k trailer and it never slipped. The EZ/275 is a great combo. Lots of power, incredibly controllable smoke, and good mileage. It also shouldn't put a lot of strain on the tranny but it's right on the edge.