Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch/flywheel mess

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/flywheel mess

I'm not really sure where to turn for help, but this forum seems to know the most about industrial clutch applications, so here goes. In my search for parts to install a Spicer 3053a into my Dodge Ram behind my Cummins, I thought I had it all sorted out. Unfortunately the research was slowed because apparently nobody knows anything about medium duty clutch applications, or else are unwilling to share that info, since every place I called or e-mailed just wanted to know the part numbers of what I wanted, and wouldn't look up the applications.

I ended up with an SAE-3 flywheel housing thanks to someone on the 4bt group, which mates to the SAE-3 bellhousing on the Spicer trans. From what little info I could find, it looked like a 14" clutch is the correct size for this transmission and housing, one of the main reasons I went with a Spicer trans instead of an NV4500- larger clutch than you can get for an NV4500/Dodge Cummins application, since my engine is bombed a little. A few days ago I finally placed the order for the flywheel and clutch, and verified that the clutch I ordered fit that flywheel. O.K., everything was coming together! This should be a 173 tooth flywheel, matching the starter I purchased, which fits the flywheel housing I have.

My clutch kit came in today, and I was excited by how large and beefy it is compared to light duty clutches. I was very happy I went this route! UNTIL.... Looking at the size of it, I though man, that looks big compared to my flywheel housing. So i went outside and checked, and the pressure plate won't fit inside my SAE-3 flywheel housing!!!!! I don't have the flywheel yet to compare, but if it does indeed match this clutch, then I'm royally screwed! I just blew $600+ worth of clutch and flywheel for nothing.

So...can anyone lend any guidance to where I went wrong? I don't want to go smaller on the clutch, because I'll get into the same problems the rest of the Dodge guys have, who can slip a stock clutch at will. I could go with a performance diesel clutch, but those easily run $1000+. I could always get another flywheel housing, but this one took me almost a year to track down, and I would have to order another new starter as well. I also have doubts about a larger housing fitting under the cab of my truck.

HELP!!!

Jim
Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

I know this isn't what you want, but you can get a CON-O that will hold your current BOMBs for $700 and come with a new flywheel.

Other than that I can't help, sorry.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Well at least you tried.

See if the shop you ordered it through will let you return it...most good shops will but since they ordered it will charge a re-stocking fee.
At least you will get some money back out of it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Well at least you tried.

See if the shop you ordered it through will let you return it...most good shops will but since they ordered it will charge a re-stocking fee.
At least you will get some money back out of it.
I should have added that. Time to put down the brown bottles...
Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 AM

Unfortunately that won't mate up to the 1.5" 10-spline input shaft of my Spicer transmission. Plus, I want more power someday, I'm just waiting for a transmission that will handle the power. That price definately is good, its just getting something to work with my Spicer trans that will be the issue.

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
I know this isn't what you want, but you can get a CON-O that will hold your current BOMBs for $700 and come with a new flywheel.

Other than that I can't help, sorry.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd head over to http://www.steelsoldiers.com/
Someone over there probably has a 6BTA in a 2.5 ton truck with the 3053A hooked to it. I wonder if the flywheel and clutch off a LD(S)465 multifuel will work on a cummins. I'll try to remember to check the extra flywheel I have at home against an extra flexplate I have.

How are you going to hook a T-case to it, your going to have to go to a divorced setup if that trans is out of a 2.5 ton army truck.

If you haven't already, try giving South Bend Clutch a call and run it past them, they might have some solution to your problem.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 PM

Another problem to consider is the Dodge may not have enough clutch pedal travel for that large-truck clutch.

Even a well-known replacement 13" clutch has problems with the release point being right at the floorboard level.

The pedal rod can be adjusted for a much higher stop, but it can be uncomfortable to drive with it sticking way out past the lower dash.

The large trucks have much longer pedal travel, longer master\slave cylinders for more travel, with longer brake pedal arms for more leverage.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM

i have read on the m715 forum that a 14 inch clutch and flywheel will fit in a #2 flywheel housing, the thing with that is you have to make a reduction plate to fit the #3 bell housing on the transmission, i think it would probably be worth it to go that route since you have every thing other than the correct flywheel housing. here is the link to the thread that i found that info on http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18653 i am trying to do a similar swap into my 76f250 so it will be interesting