Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

chip question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chip question

I'm looking at getting a chip for my truck. I haven't had this truck but for a little over a month and today was the first load I have pulled with it. The 3.55's are a real . I'm figuring I had about 12k lbs on it today. Once I got it rolling it wasn't that big of a deal, I could run 75 or 80 with no problem but it was making it there that was the problem. I had to stop at a redlight and then start up a hill when the light turned green. Going up this hill she warmed up just a little bit on me, but not enough for me to worry a lot. I didn't think that the top of the hill was ever going to get there. So I'm thinking I need some MO power. What kind of chips do y'all (yeah I'm from the South) have on your trucks. I would really like to have one of the Bully Dog chips that you can shift on the fly, but I don't want to spend the 6 or 700 dollars that I am going to pay for it. I was really leaning towards a superchip. So what are y'all thinking about this? Let me know. Thanks.
Ross
Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy, and welcome to DTR!

My truck is similar to yours, but with a 5 spd. First of all, if you don't have gages, get some. You will for sure need a pyrometer if you're going to pull heavy and with a heavy foot. It can keep you from melting the top of a piston. Adding a chip will make the exhaust temps even higher. I think most folks would recommend a pyrometer, fuel pressure and tranny temp gages.

I have the Edge EZ and it makes a lot of difference when towing. It helps on the low end, but a set of RV275 injectors would help even more. If you go with much more then EZ and injectors, you will be looking for a new tranny.

Oh yea, I forgot the air box....more air = lower temps.

Browse the 2nd Gen and Towing and Hauling threads and you can pick up a lot of info.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 PM

It sounds like with what your doing you would be happy with an Edge EZ. Really wakes up the bottom end power, especially on a stock truck. I think they can be had for under $400 also.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 PM

get a comp you can buy one off the classified or the DTR store and get the scotty smart fuel best bang for the buck
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 PM

i've always heard that the van aaken boxes are better in the low end department, and I will certain lyagree that when I put mine on it made a very considerable difference in pulling power. I also recently installed rv275 injectors, i'd say go for the box first. But before anything get a full set of gauges; pyro, tranny temp, and fuel pressure. I would also strongly recommend the scotty max fuel line kit.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:36 AM

gafirefighter,

Welcome to the site. It doens't take long on this site before most people are bitten by the power bug. All of the upgrades are great, but if you can't get it to the ground you are throwing away your money. I would recommend getting some upgrades for the tranny also. At the very least you should increase the tranny pressure to help your TC from slipping. With the heavy loads that you are hauling, it might be a good idea to get a upgraded tranny with a different TC to handle the extra strain. These are just some of my suggestions though.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Hey there fellow Georgian. This is just my opinion and take it for the way it is written. if you do not plan on getting gauges then you will be driving basicly blind when pulling heavy loads up steep hills, Especially with a box or injectors. Now I am a fine one to be talking, but they are next on my list.

With my given setup, I am not to concerned with exhaust temps. I went with the EZ, but before it I installed a BHAF, then a 4" exhaust system. This really helps lower exhaust temps, but how much i am not sure, but on a friends truck it was almost 300 degrees. You will benefit from the EZ in power and if you can control your foot, fuel economy. After I install the gauges, I will be looking at a Valve body and shift kit, then prolly some injectors. If the guys on here can talk me into it, I might go ahead and opt for a Torque Converter. Only thing holding me back right now is funds..
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

gafirefighter,

Lots of good suggestions and all of them are valid. Here's what we suggest to folks with your situation when they call us at the office. FIRST get gauges to monitor EGT's and watch the fluid temp in the tranny. Get the Comp if it doesn't kill your bank account enough to hurt you, that way you can have the EZ power level now without tapping the pump wire. This will keep the auto trans from slipping. The next move is exhaust and air intake system to let the turbo do it's thing efficiently with the extra fuel you have added. Now down the road add a valve body and converter to the tranny and go for 275RV injectors and tap the wire on the Comp so you have full power from it and the injectors. Should get you in the 140-170 HP range over stock and you'll be amazed at how doggie a stock truck actually is! If the Comp is too pricey for you right now go with the van Aaken version of the EZ, saves you money and lots of customers claim lots better off idle bottom end as compared to the EZ. If you have any questions ring us up we do this combo all the time and will be glad to help you with any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Gauges, air in (intake) and air out (4" exhaust), then a Van Aaken or Edge EZ box, upgrades to stock auto transmission, injectors, then you will be pulling about anything you please. But you first need to get a baseline on what engine is doing stock, so you can see what changes are making to your running configuration. Good luck, and welcome to the dark side.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 PM

wow that's a lot of information

Ok, gauges are gonna be up there on my priority list because I was worried about my tranny yesterday anyway. As far as the exhaust goes I am planning on getting it straight piped with 4 inch pipe from the turbo back (by the way will straight piping it void the 5 year, 100k power train warranty?) As for the breathing in I was thinking about getting a Green CAI. The transmission I was really wanting a 6 spd when I bought it, but I got a really good deal on this truck and I couldn't pass it up. All I've ever been around is manual transmissions, so I don't know a whole lot about the autos. So as I learn about them on here I'll make adjustments to it as I (and y'all) see fit. So from what I can tell there seems to be a general thought that the Edge EZ is the way I should go for the chip. I've heard a lot about Edge and their diesel products but I've never looked at the prices on their products. So i'll check out some of this stuff, BTW I like this nothing but CTD people forum. Thanks guys and gals.
Ross
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

In the same boat

I'm bone stock myself, Gauges allready ordered, just wondering which direction to go now? Mainly thinking of comp box or blue dts box, Which is better of those two? And will I see much difference going to a 4 or 5 inch system as apposed to my stock system with the can cut off.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sodbuster03
I'm bone stock myself, Gauges allready ordered, just wondering which direction to go now? Mainly thinking of comp box or blue dts box, Which is better of those two? And will I see much difference going to a 4 or 5 inch system as apposed to my stock system with the can cut off.
yes you can see probably 150-200* cooler EGTs with a 4" high flow system...not much more with a 5" unless you are pushing well into the 500hp range.

i know they say an intake kit (afe, quadzilla, or scotty II) and a 4" system together will drop egts up to 300 degrees so they are def worth it, and needed
Old 10-05-2005, 07:29 AM

Just a financial heads up for you guys, you can check the classifieds and find pretty much all kinds of upgrades for half of what they retail for. i got my EZ for $200. And just picked up a box for my dads for $150. Just a lil FYI.