Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

changing Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing Injectors

OK people can you give me a little encouragement . I'm just about to start the process of changing my injectors on my 2001. I would say I'm some what mechanically inclined but more so lazy . I loaded up my little Tech Authority CD, looked up injector removal, printed out sections the CD manual called for . Now I've got 12 pages telling me all the items I need to remove . Doesn't look like a quick job to me . Any good threads for easy change out of injectors. Appreciate any and all help!

Regards,
Gene007
WarWagon
Old 09-11-2003, 12:58 PM

Re:changing Injectors

Im gonna switch out my EDM's tonight for a different set its really easy.

You need 10 MM socket or wrench to remove the valve cover the gasket is reuseable.
Once the cover is off there are small keepers that hold the injectors in.

Only remove the outside bolt now take one of your valve cover bolts and thread it into the top of the injector.

Now take the 3/4" wrech and crack the injector line the large gold nut on the outside of the block.

Unscrew the nut totally off and pull the line back.

Now take a small flat head and pry the tube slightly out to ease up the injector.

Now hold that tube out and pop the injector out with the bolt.

Repeat 5 more times.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:03 PM

Thanks ;D for the info, I would have been 2 days and 5 gaskets later and still trying to figure out if I had done things right with the instructions I had printed out.

Regards,
Gene007
WarWagon 8)
Old 09-11-2003, 01:05 PM
DTR Advertiser

Fairly simple procedure should take about 1-2 hours. Remove the rear drivers lifting eye,and valve cover. Then remove the air horn. There are about 6 injector clamps that tie the lines to each other that come off. After that is done do one at a time and remove the high press line from the head, after you move that aside there is a connector tube inside where the hp line goes, you can slide that out about 1/2"with a small flathead screwdriver. Remove the front inj. hold down bolt and slide the bar out. Thread one of the air horn bolts into the top of the inj. and pull it straight up. Ensure you oil the inj. o ring and install it with the hole in the inj. body toward the drivers side rear. Also torque the hp lines with a crows foot to 28 ftlbs. Hope this helps Tim
Old 09-11-2003, 04:11 PM

PM me your email and I will give you 2 sets of instructions.

Follow one or both of them and you should be done in a couple of hours.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Remove the intake horn and plug the area where the heater grid was with a rag! This is the INTAKE
Plug the intercooler pipe too.
Remove valve cover with 10 MM socket...you can wiggle it out the passenger side over the one heater hose.
Remove the gasket for later.
DO ONE INJECTOR AT A TIME FROM BACK TO FRONT!!!!
Use a 19MM to back off the injector line on the back cylinder.
Remove the closest 8MM bolt from the 'keeper', just the one and lift out the keeper. I use the 10MM bolt that holds the oil dip stick in place on the air horn in the injector...thread it in a few times. Use a regular slot screw driver to GENTLY pry back the injector line and then use a pair of bent nose needle nose pliers under the head of the 10MM bolt in the injector and pry it til it pops up.

Then, take a dab of grease and put it on the copper seal of the new injector so it does not slide off and fall in. If it does fall in ...take an awl or very small screwdriver and put it in the injector hole and thru the copper washer, GENTLY slide it up and out of the hole...use the grease! Put some oil around the rubber seal on the new injector so it slides in easy too.
Now, GENTLY pry the injector line back and align the new injector like the old ones were and press it into the hole while holding the injector line out just a small bit. Once it POPS into place, remove the screwdriver to let the injector line seat against the connection to the injector. I always will thread on the brass fitting you used the 19MM on after that...just a few threads
Replace the keeper and tighten the 8MM to the specified torque spec if you have a torque wrench.

I might take a bit of flack for this but I have not torqued any on my truck, just down til its tight. Nary a problem. A perfect job would be to torque it. I also DO NOT REMOVE the injector line retainers, nor do I loosen them.

Move onto the next injector the same way.

I also disconnect the batteries and cover them because I have seen how easy it is to set a wrench down and arc the posts. I did not do this but I witnessed the show by someone that is very highly known in the diesel industry and probably changes out more injectors in a day then anyone of us would do in our lifetime. ;D

Be sure to REMOVE those rags when putting the intake back in place!
Do not forget the valve cover gasket...I saw that before too.

When starting up the truck...bump the starter to the point where you get just a quick crank of the engine, let the lift pump run...I do this three times and then crank the engine. It will fire a few times like this...then I bump the starter again twice running the lift pump, then crank and it starts...runs rough til it clears out...COUGH GASP SMOKE and then it will run smooth. Let it run a bit. Shut it off, check for leaks, go for a ride. ;D

If all goes well...you are done!

I think I covered it. Someone will gladly add if I missed something or has another tip or something to add.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:01 PM

Thanks to all for all the good info!!! ;D Everything is changed and seems to be running good. Took it for a little run before dark, It did sound like it is not getting enough fuel at one point but I'll look at it in the morning. I had not seen over 27 psi boost but it cranked up to 30 psi today.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:40 AM

Maybe one of you professional-injector-swappers could do a nice write up with some pics, and it could be added to the "tech facts" section of this site? Just a thought...