Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes

Lots of stuff on here about going fast how about stopping . Has anyone bought the performance rotors an upgraded the calapiers . My truck has drums on the rear would that be an issue if I up graded the front . An whats the advantage of sloted verses drilled ? I imagine if I wanted to upgrade the rear to disk I would have to change the axle houseing ? Anyone out here thats done these mods that can share the do's an dont's ?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Not sure what year truck you have, but generally I believe switching to rear discs is a mistake. Many have upgraded their rear wheel cylinders to 30 mm units off a GM 1 ton truck, and have been very impressed with the added braking they gained from it.

The problem I see with rear discs is that they are constantly being bombarded with dirt, gravel, slush etc. being kicked up from the front wheels. The bushings deteriorate, then the slides corrode and seize. Now, before you know it you have one pad that's worn to metal, while the others are still like new. Another problem is that the emergency brakes don't seem to work nearly as well on disc systems; they lack the holding power. It's looking like some of the truck manufacturers are going back to rear drums on pickups, just to end the problems.

I haven't done any other mods to mine, other than finding a good ceramic lining that I'm really happy with. They don't tend to overheat and cause pulls like the OEM style semi-metallic linings do. I'm gentle on my brakes, try to let the engine do most of the slowing, and make sure my trailers do their share of the braking. That seems to be the key on these trucks - don't let them get too hot, or you will always end up with pulls.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Brakes

Thanks Torqueman sounds like i'm lucky the truck came out with drums on the rear its a 2001 2500 5.9 Automatic . That holding back is an issue with the Auto's which I will be working on in the future when I upgrade my transmision an Torque converter . So my brakes work harder even running empty . Had not thought about puting a larger wheel clylinder in 1 ton chevy with Dana Axle i assume is what you meant . So you stayed with the stock rotors an went to a ceramic pads , have you ever replaced the rotors ?
Thanks for the advice
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've heard too that the aftermarket swaps tend to wear out brake pads alot faster. Especially with slotted disks.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM

If your truck is a 2001 you could do the big brake upgrade in the front you use rotors off of a 2003 truck and caliper mounting brackets which gives you larger front rotors the caliper are the same. On my 01 I have disc in the rear and I love them and have never had a problem with them.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

I highly reccomed the bigger wheel cylinders. Napa PN 37337

Great mod, especially for under $30
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Brakes

Thanks fellows more good info I appreciate the part number . An the info about the rotors your saying the stock rotors for a 03 are bigger an the caliper mounting bracket is the only thing that has to be changed because of the larger rotor .
Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by travelingman
So you stayed with the stock rotors an went to a ceramic pads , have you ever replaced the rotors ?
Thanks for the advice
Nope. My rotors are still original.