Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost Fooler w/Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Fooler w/Superchip?

I know the Superchip programmer does not have one built in like many other fueling boxes do. So, I am thinking of adding one myself. I know I need a "J-Hook" and the electronic fooler that plugs into the map sensor too. Is there anyone that sells these as a package, or do I have to track down two separate sources?

I did a search under "boost fooler" and learned a lot, it just wasn't clear if they came as a set, or if I had to buy 2 things.

This is for an 02 auto, with the HY35. I'm also seriosly considering adding RV275's to my truck. Gauges and a 4" exhaust are already in the works.

I know some of you may suggest a different fueling box, but that's just not in the cards for me, I got the Superchips one cheap, and plan to keep it. I don't want to get too wild, I use my truck mostly for pulling a 34' travel trailer through the mountains. So a mild-moderate increase in power without having to worry about breaking anything is more important to me than 1/4 mile times, or killing ricers.

Thanks for your time and responses!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

As far as I know nobody sells those as a package. And the superchips isn't all that bad, especially if you get it for cheap. It's better than having nothing in my opinion. Especially if you add some 275 injectors. You will be very pleased with the performance, those injectors will make a huge difference just by themselves. And as far as the boost fooler, I've never had to install one ( box came with it ) so I can't really lend much of a hand on that one.

Good luck man, and enjoy!!

~Nick
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

The j-hook is nothing more than a standard turn buckle. Go find a turn buckle at lowe's or home depot that's about 7-8" long with two hooks on the end. Attach one end to the wastegate and the other end to the front of the turbo and clamp it shut. As far as the electronics package goes, I can't help ya there. My comp does that part.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can help with the electronic boost fooler part. Haisley Machine still sells the Anti Defueling Device, also known as the ADD. This is the only stand alone boost fooler I am aware of and will allow the ECM to be tricked and not allow an overboost DTC when running bigger injectors without a fueling box. Follow Big Blue's advice and intall the J hook to clamp the wastegate shut and install the ADD. You'll be good to go without a fueling box.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Arrow

OK, I did some more surfing (while I'm supposed to be working ), and found a J-Hook device that BD makes that will hold the wastegate closed until a higher boost level is achieved than the stock ~20 psi. Supposed to make ~28-29 psi . Now as I understand it, this device alone will set off the engine light as the MAP sensor reads an overboost occurring . The solution to that is the "boost fooler" or "anti-defueling device" mentioned. Would the two devices together give me the extra boost without the engine light coming on?

DO I HAVE IT RIGHT? Opinions?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Chapter President

Yes, you have it right. The J hook makes the wastegate inoperative and the ADD tricks the ECM into seeing lower boost than what there is so as not to throw an overboost code and defuel. The two parts work together to allow the engine to run at higher than stock boost without any of the side effects. Just remember the little HY is over speeding when you exceed about 32 psi.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM

Question

Thanks for your help CTDNUT. (or, just between you and me....thanks for the help eh?) The rest of them wouldn't understand....

Now, just gotta dig out the good ol visa, and order the stuff. Gonna cost about $150 CDN when all is said and done. Reason I want to do this is to be able to run the superchips on level 2 or 3 when towing (which you are not supposed to do). My guess is that this is because the EGTs get too high when pulling with the superchip, since it has no boost fooler.

What if I just buy the ADD. Will that accomplish the same thing, or will the wastegate open anyway when boost gets too high? I guess what I'm asking is, is the wastegate electronically controlled, or mechanically controlled?
HY35.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 AM

Thumbs up

It will still open it works off preasure you can also install a boost elbo.I tow with my Superchip in the High Performanc setting and have tried all settings and there's not any diferience in egts.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by airman
It will still open it works off preasure you can also install a boost elbo.I tow with my Superchip in the High Performanc setting and have tried all settings and there's not any diferience in egts.
I have read that a boost elbow won't work on an 02 auto. I don't know why, but that's what I read. Is this true?

Airman, can you tell me what kind of egts you are seeing while using the superchip programmer? I want to know how much "room" I have, as I'm thinking of adding RV275s. The way I figger it, adding those will increase egts.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by ib516
I have read that a boost elbow won't work on an 02 auto. I don't know why, but that's what I read. Is this true?
Correct, the HY35 is hard lined and has no provision for the elbow......the only option to allow the turbo to produce more boost with the HY is to use the J hook.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Ok, thanks...that's what I thought. I searched on ebay, and saw a whack of them. They all said that they wouldn't work on an 01 or 02 w/auto trans. Guess that's why.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 AM

ib516 Sorry for the delay I have been out of town sence thursday.But to your question about the exast temp mine will go up to 1250 degrees on a steep grade that is towing a 14,000 lb trailor it want get to about 1,000 empty wot.And I know I will get a lot of feedback from this but my Superchip out tows my EZ.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Thanks Airman!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

for $200-230 more you can get an ez with a built in one and stack them to get the (best of both worlds) low and mid power. i'm gonna stack mine when i get the guages installed, although i'm a little worried about it being an HO, should be no problem in a SO. do a search for superchips and should bring up some good info.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 PM

I've heard somewhere that if you removed the map sensor and install an air regulator set at 20lbs, then install the map sensor on the regulator side. The map sensor only reads the 20lbs of boost and doesn't defuel, but you really are running 20-30lbs of boost.

I thing this would be the easiest DIY solution without using any electronics and it would fool the computer.

What size port is the map sensor screwed in the intake??