Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Catcher W/ TST or Catcher Special W/ Comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catcher W/ TST or Catcher Special W/ Comp

Hey guys, I'm looking to stack a box with my catcher but not quite sure which one yet. I like the adjustability of the comp but also have herd good things about TST. Is anyone running either one of these combo's?

Thanks Randy
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

rjohnson was running a catcher with a TST and mach 4's and whenever he would floor it from a stop it would almost drown the engine out with the amount of fuel it was putting through it.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM

That’s what makes me lean toward the comp, more adjustability as far as how fast the extra fuel comes in.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

I love my edge comp.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:50 PM

I've also considered the Edge juice that is "suppose" to be coming out soon, I like the idea of using a plate instead of taping the wire, but I don’t think it has the all the settings the comp has.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

A plate? Unless the juice is different than the comp, the plates are only for the 12 valves. The only way I know to pull insane power out of the 24 valve is by tapping the wire.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
A plate? Unless the juice is different than the comp, the plates are only for the 12 valves. The only way I know to pull insane power out of the 24 valve is by tapping the wire.
Sorry, couldn't think of what it's called Pump cover is what I meant
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Banned

It will depend on which version of the CATCHER ECM you have. If you have standard version(with timing)you can have issues with the comps added timing and fuel bogging from hard launch. Although it seems only with guys that have bigger injectors than us, that there are some issues. If you have special version it is made to add other timing/fueling boxes to it, as it has very little timing added to it. I have standard version with timing, and stack Van Aaken to it and it is even more

Apparently you can run timing box even with "standard CATCHER" as per Bob Wagner, but with very little or no benefit, although mine made a bigger and more noticeable difference with it on, and without any issues. If you had an e-z or Van Aaken previously, you can hook it up and see if any power difference. You might have to do more searching, as to which box accentuates the CATCHER the best with your injectors. From what I've heard it's the blue chip redline box, or TST fueling box, others can jump in. With my setup, I seem to have a very well balanced rig now, with no issues whatsoever. I always have instant power, and at any speed with very little throttle movement, if I want more I floor it then injectors seem to take over.

With my setup I'm MORE THAN pleased, as it is a ROCKET off the line right thru to redline. . I killed a new Porsche Cayenne(Not turbo version) from a start on Saturday, and then he came back again for more, this time 30kms and then romping, and I smoked him quite handily again(he jumped on it first both times). Also killed 3 powerjokes both from start and rolling, and 1 duramax, and countless ricers .

I wanted to take to the track for time slip and hp/torque readings, but wasn't here when it was on. We have pretty similiar setup, and I was thinking originally about going to one of above mentioned boxes, but really no need to now. If I hadn't already had VanAaken, I probably still would have bought some type of box, and would probably be asking this same question right now too . Sorry about the long post, hope this helps some.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
rjohnson was running a catcher with a TST and mach 4's and whenever he would floor it from a stop it would almost drown the engine out with the amount of fuel it was putting through it.
That's just a driving style thing. You're not supposed to floor it from a start with a Catcher.

RJ wanted a floor-it-and-forget-it solution for drag racing, and the Catcher requires a different driving style than that.

This is going to be especially the case if I end up with a Catcher and mach 6s.

I'm becoming curious if you even need to tap the wire on a VP44 truck to make big power. What if all you need is a catcher, and some injectors big enough to drain the plungers in the pump?

I'm guessing a Catcher and M6s is pretty much the limit for an HO pump.

An SO pump would probably require a mach 8 or something in that area. (250hp or so injector).

Maybe someone could explain to me why you have to have a longer duty cycle and smaller injector vs. a catcher and some huge sticks.

jh
Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hohn, I dont think we can go bigger than a Mach 4.5 with our HO's. You can but you wont see any differance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

Yeah. I wanna say that even Don M recommends nothing larger than a 4 on an ho because the pump is out of fuel. IIRC, someone did a dyno run with a set of 4's and then a set of 6's on the HO and only gained like 20hp. Not sure though. It's been a while.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last weekend I drove a CTD with Mach 6's, TST box, and CaTCHER. Was running a HX40 turbo. I had no issue when give it the fuel. Of course I did not drive with the TST box on. But I would say use the TST box.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

That had to be a toasty combination right there.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 AM

Last weekend I drove a CTD with Mach 6's, TST box, and CaTCHER.
Hmmmmmm,
same setup as mine!
Makes me wonder! Maybe that's been my truck? Who knows.... LOL

I've done some testing with the TST Power Max Competition now.
I'm absolutly positive that the problem a few have reported @ drag racing is due to too much fuel when floored. Smoke like there's no tomorrow but no power.

The solution?
As always with the CaTCHER, don't floor it. Actually my truck runs like a rocket with the PowerMax turned on. One just needs to use the throttle gently.

I've had both the Comp and the TST boxes. Both were the competition version. I like the TST best. With a rather high timing even the EGT's stay somewhat in check with the TST. I'm still testing the timing aspect, nothing I would feel comfortable to release to the public for now but looks promising.

Marco

On Edit. Daniel, you need to update your signature! I see no CaTCHER in there.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Maybe someone could explain to me why you have to have a longer duty cycle and smaller injector vs. a catcher and some huge sticks.

jh
Good question. The issue that comes to mind is adjustability. Can't turn the catcher/sticks down I guess its all in the right foot.

BTW I've heard good things about the Catcher/tst stack @ NWBombers forum.

Quick Reply: Catcher W/ TST or Catcher Special W/ Comp