Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone In Colorado Done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone In Colorado Done this?

I have got to get rid of this auto tranny. It's absolutely terrible. I want to know:
1. If anyon around here has switched the auto for a 5 or 6 speed manual.
2. If so, did you do it yourself or did a shop do it?
3. If a shop did it, what shop?
4. Either way, how much was it?

I cant stand driving this auto any more. I love to have the control over the truck with the manual. Anyone know of a shop close by that would do it? Or, anyone want to do it for me?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

I'm curious as well.......having the auto is extremely nice......but it SUCKS at the same time!! If the cost was anywhere in the same ballpark as a built auto, then I'd serioulsy consider doing the swap.

~Nick
Old 08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I'm curious as well.......having the auto is extremely nice......but it SUCKS at the same time!! If the cost was anywhere in the same ballpark as a built auto, then I'd serioulsy consider doing the swap.

~Nick
Same exact thing here....Even if the cost is a few hundred more, I'd still do it. Anyone?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM

It has been done but it is alot more work than one might think and is rather costly. There are a couple threads already posted here that should answere most questions. I looked into it as well and decided it is a lot less hassle to have an auto done.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Well if I had to do it myself than yeah, I'd just pay to have the auto built up, but if we could find somebody who does the swap then that'd be sweet......I just don't know if there is anybody out there that does it....besides guys that have done it in their garage!!

I'd love to have a stick for pulling my crawler around, but don't want to sell the truck and start all over again.........LOVE the truck....HATE the auto Plus the sticks are a lot funner to drive

~Nick
Old 08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Chapter President

Well if I had to do it myself than yeah, I'd just pay to have the auto built up, but if we could find somebody who does the swap then that'd be sweet......I just don't know if there is anybody out there that does it....besides guys that have done it in their garage!!

I'd love to have a stick for pulling my crawler around, but don't want to sell the truck and start all over again.........LOVE the truck....HATE the auto Plus the sticks are a lot funner to drive

~Nick
I think your my twin.....exact same thing with my truck....Need it to pull the jeep and drive every day. Love to drive stick....driving an auto makes me sleepy and feel like I have ADD....maybe I do!?!?!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
I think your my twin.....exact same thing with my truck....Need it to pull the jeep and drive every day. Love to drive stick....driving an auto makes me sleepy and feel like I have ADD....maybe I do!?!?!

What were we talking about???? Yep must be twins!!!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2006, 01:01 AM

quad4x4.com had some info on it, check it out.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rockwithjason
quad4x4.com had some info on it, check it out.
Sent them an email.....thanks for the help
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Chapter President

What were we talking about???? Yep must be twins!!!

~Nick
Maybe we should think about diving into this together.....how good are you with tranny's? I'll let you know what I find as I do. That said, it looks like ATS sells NV4500's for 2500....not too bad, especially if we can get some $ for the autos....maybe a dragster wants it. LEt me know what you findout.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Hmm didn't know that ATS sold them too......that makes it handy!! I've read a few posts on here about doing the swap, but they've all been on 12V's....not sure how it would effect the 24V if any??

I'm not a super genius when it comes to tranny's, but I do have a 99' Dually with a 5 speed that we could use for reference as far as routing things and stuff like that!!

I'll see if I can find that post from awile back, some guy listed all the parts and stuff you'd need to do the swap.....on a 12V that is but hopefully it's not that much different!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Holy monkey.........I was reading that stuff on that link from a couple posts above..........$6K to $7K to do the swap is what they were saying!!! Hmmm if we could find a couple parts trucks that'd be sweet, but I doubt them are to easy to come by.

Let me do some more reading.........my head already hurts!!!!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Chapter President

Hmm didn't know that ATS sold them too......that makes it handy!! I've read a few posts on here about doing the swap, but they've all been on 12V's....not sure how it would effect the 24V if any??

I'm not a super genius when it comes to tranny's, but I do have a 99' Dually with a 5 speed that we could use for reference as far as routing things and stuff like that!!

I'll see if I can find that post from awile back, some guy listed all the parts and stuff you'd need to do the swap.....on a 12V that is but hopefully it's not that much different!

~Nick
I know we have to replace the ecm....not sure if the 12v needed to or not.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

No the 12V didn't have to as far as I know....it was mainly all the new parts and throwing them in. The biggest cost is gonna be all the small misc. crap that we'd have to get.....that stuff will cost more than the tranny itself!!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Chapter President

Yup....I'm not even worried about most of the cost, more the actual puting it together. I emailed Ats and The other company (link above) about it. Asking both if they would do it or if they knew someone who would do it. No responce yet.

By the way, we should just grab a beer and talk this out in person, especially if we're both in CO. How old are you? When are you actually looking at doing all this to the truck?

Oh yeah, and anyone who wants to join this convo is more than welcome....three heads are better than two, as four are better than three, as five are better than four....etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone In Colorado Done this?