Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AmsOil Bypass system

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AmsOil Bypass system

Anyone using the Amsoil bypass system. Im considering it and wondering if its worth the $. Amsoil says it will pay for itself in oil changes after a while, but not sure if he was just trying to make a sale. He also claims you dont have to change the oil unless the lab results tell you to. Is it worth it, or should i just stick w/ rotella?

Hunter
Old 12-16-2003, 08:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Re:AmsOil Bypass system

I am using the their dual filter setup. I like it quite a bit. Pay for itself in oil changes - yes if you are willing to go with extended drains. I use extended drains I go about 15k between changes. Works for me I run the 5w-30 in the cooler months and 15w-40 in the warmer ones. Many go much much longer than that. There are varying opinions on the need for one though and whether the dual or single is better, surely others will chime in.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:01 AM

I'm using one. May not be necessary, but I like the idea of filtering the oil twice. It was more of a want than a need, just another toy for the truck, but I'd buy it again.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a difference in the "bypass" system and the "remote filter" system, don't get confused here. The dual remote system runs the engine oil supply through the two filters and then back to the pressurized oil gallery in the engine. The "bypass" system simply taps off an oil supply port, runs through the filter, and then drains back to the crank case, not that there is anything at all wrong with that.

I am running the AMSOIL dual remote system with the stainless braided hose kit. I have had this on three different trucks now with no problems. I ran the oil up to 50,000 miles on my current truck and the samples were still coming back good. I change the oil at 25,000 now since I have upped the HP a little but am still throwing away good oil. I ran the oil 60,000 miles (4 1/2 years) in my 89 Dodge and the samples were still good also.

The initial set up is quite expensive, especially if you get the stainless braided hoses like I did. I am not looking at what is the cheapest here, I am looking at what I personally feel is best for the longevity of my engine.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:42 PM

I run amsoil bypass system and all the amsoil products, from the front to the rear, i think the products are well worth price .they work.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:39 PM

Good point Dieseldude, if clarification is needed... I'm running the dual remote system.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 AM

good point, in that case i am running the dual remote and not the bypass.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Just trying to help out those that may not know the difference so they can choose the right system if they go with either. A lot of people won't go the initial set up expense of the system and the first large batch of oil.
If you do go the dual remote set up, I highly recommend the stainless braided hoses, they are worth the extra also. If interested in the hoses, send me a PM and I will see if I have the guys info that makes up the hoses. He is in NJ somewhere and is very nice to talk to. He sent mine out even before I got the money in the mail to him.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:36 AM

[quote author=Dieseldude4x4 link=board=7;threadid=23802;start=0#msg224970 date=1071663722]
Just trying to help out those that may not know the difference so they can choose the right system if they go with either. A lot of people won't go the initial set up expense of the system and the first large batch of oil.
If you do go the dual remote set up, I highly recommend the stainless braided hoses, they are worth the extra also. If interested in the hoses, send me a PM and I will see if I have the guys info that makes up the hoses. He is in NJ somewhere and is very nice to talk to. He sent mine out even before I got the money in the mail to him.
[/quote]

I'm currently using the hose supplied with the kit, but if they ever wear out, I'll likely replace them with the stainless braided hoses.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Administrator

They are real nice and he supplies a billet adapter that is way better than the stock cast aluminum one. I'll get some pics some time whan I don't need a rain coat to step outside.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:05 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. When I do decide to go AmsOil, I'll spend the extra $ and go w' the better system. Thanks again.
Hunter