Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air Dog vs Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Dog vs Raptor

Hi everyone! I've been lurking and searching around the site for a while, but haven't done any mods to my truck until just now. I got the transmission built, and just today installed a Quadzilla Adrenaline with Pulse module.

I LOVE it, but it is quite obvious, as you all know, that I need a better lift pump. I put a stock replacement on last year and am getting 13-14 psi at idle and when I turn up the Adrenaline it gets scary pretty fast. Level 4 doesn't drop any lower than 5 psi, which I know is too low. I tried level 10 for a VERY brief period and saw the fuel pressure drop to 0, at which point I very quickly let off the throttle and dialed down the Adrenaline box.

At any rate, I don't plan on going crazy with the truck but would like to get it into the 350-400 rwhp/800 rwtq range and was wondering if I will need a full Air Dog system to do that, or if I will be ok with a Raptor 100 or 150?

I know it's only about another $100 for the Air Dog, but I don't want to deal with the extra plumbing and the large block of "stuff" under my truck if I don't have to. Will a Raptor do the trick for me? If so, should I go for the 100 or 150?

I was kind of leaning toward the 150 since "more is better" but figured I'd ask for some advice on here first!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

-Paul

P.S. haven't set up sig just yet, my truck is a '99 Ram 2500 quad cab 8' bed built 47RE and Quadzilla Adrenaline with Pulse, K & N filter, and 4" exhaust
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Unless i am mistaken, the raptor is just a fuel pump and the airdog is a fuel pump/filter/water separator. So you should be able to buy the same flow pump in either configuration.

I have always said that the cleaner the fuel, the happier the engine. I just recently bought an airdog over the raptor because of the extra filtration.

There should be no extra "plumbing" with the airdog, but it is larger. You have a longbed so it is not as much of an issue as on a short bed truck.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply! I was under the impression that with an Air Dog or FASS type setup they had an extra return line to plumb back to the tank and possibly another extra thing or two to take care of vs. just installing a pump like the Raptor. Perhaps I'm wrong though?

I was kind of assuming that the Raptor 150 was a comparable pump to the Air Dog 150, so that would go along with your thoughts as well...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 PM

the pump that is used by the airdog (not the airdog II tho) and raptor is a fixed displacement pump so they will both have a return line to the tank for the excess flow not used by the VP.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Raptor does not have a return line.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM

I ended up ordering a Raptor 150 last night. I'll let you know how it works out!!

Thanks for all the help so far!

-Paul
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Let me know if you have any questions. I will be glad to help out.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM

I can give you any help as well. I just installed mine on Sunday, so it's fresh in my memory.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Awesome, I appreciate it guys! I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Actually, I just thought of one right now LOL! I haven't looked at my tank recently so I can't remember for sure. Will I be able to unhook my fuel supply line and hook up the new one to the Raptor without having to lift the bed or drop the tank? I'm thinking I can snake my hand in there and do it, but I just can't remember!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Yes you can, but it's a tight fit. That was honestly the hardest part of the install for me. Hard to get my fat fingers on them clips to unhook the factory supply line...

I don't know what other guys have done with the factory lines and lift pump, but I left mine in place. I sealed off both ends of the line to keep anything from getting inside. I figure that way if for some reason the Raptor ever quits on me, all I have to do is reattach the 2 ends and plug the stock lift pump back in and I can keep running.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Got it installed tonight. Really pretty easy install and everything went smoothly. Made a mess when I was bleeding the supply line to the fuel filter but that's to be expected I suppose. I had a couple drips after the first test drive but tightened the fittings some and I think everything's good now, but I'll check it tomorrow to be sure.

I adjusted the fuel pressure on the Raptor so I'm seeing 17-20 at idle and it seems to hold well at WOT also, although on level 10 on the Adrenaline I tend to keep my eyes on the road not the fuel pressure gauge LOL.

This thing rocks! Now I just need to figure out why the heck I'm getting over 40 lbs of boost out of my stock turbo....pretty sure the wastegate is STUCK!!

Thanks again to everyone for their input and help with the fuel pump issue. So far I'm very happy and the pump is much quieter than the stock engine mounted lift pump. Quality crafted and a great install kit, PureFlow gets a big thumbs up from me!!!

-Paul