Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air dog problem maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air dog problem maybe??

So I have had an air dog for about 3 months now with no problems. It usually sits at 17psi and will drop to 15-16 psi on wot. We had some good snow the last month and this is where the problem comes in. On my way to work about 3 weeks ago I notice my pressure sitting at 30 something. I didnt really think anything of it until, I thought about it and was like DANG!!! So I kept an eye on it and checked stuff out. I later found that the pressure sending unit plug on, the edge was full of water from the melting snow. So I took it off blew it out, put alcohol in it blew that out then took a hair drier and dried it out. I plugged it all together and same simptom. So I went and bought some electric grease and used that still same problem, which I have been putting up with crazy pressure readings for 3 weeks or so. I called edge and they said they would send me a new one but, that will have to wait till summer when I come back. The tech also told me that when unplugged the guage should read 32 or something so would that mean my edge is bad to? Now on to my Air dog issue.

Finally went today and picked up a tee and put a needle valve on it with a gauge on top since not one store here carries a fuel guage, not even the speed shop. This is where the problem comes into play if it even is a problem? I cut the fuel line that air dog supplies and I would think to have a hose filled with fuel. Ummm nope no fuel to be seen none that even ran out. What the He**?? I thought their big thing was pure fuel flow with no air? Has anyone else noticed or had this happen? My pressure builds right away and sits at 14 at the injection pump where I just tee'd it in today. I kind of expected a drop in pressure seeing as how before my edge was reading the pressure out of the pump port.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

bump for a answer
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

I cut mine and it didn't have that much fuel in it. But that was before the pump. But I'll ask you, my pump only sounds like it comes on for a split second when I first crank up then I don't hear it. Does the same happen for you?? It gets warm so it must be workin. Don't have a FPG yet but I'm workin on it. Why are they so freakin expensive!!!! sorry But I don't have an answer. Maybe if the truck or fuel line was going downhill the fuel went back towards the tank?? It's a thought.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Ya, I hear the initial start of the pump during the cycling of the grid heater. If you listen real close you can hear it or if you feel it I can feel it buzzing along. I have no idea why the darn gauges are so pricey either, right now I just picked up a standard psi gauge at our local ranch store. I understand the possiblilities of the fuel gravity feeding back to the tank but, wouldnt that require the complete system to be bleed of air????? When I cycled the key the pressure did come right up but, I just cant imagine this being good. Someone with some more ideas would be great.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM

How close to the pump did you cut it, As soon as you cut through the hose the fuel will drain back. The reason for the different readings is simply that one is an electric guage and one is mechanical.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

I cut it about 6 inches before the IP. I just wondered if it was this way all the time?? It fired up just fine with out any bleeding and didnt miss a beat but cant be too good for it I would imagine
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm guessing it was under pressure, but somehow when you cut it, inducing the air made it go back towards the tank. If your pressure's good then it's good. And I can't tell if the pump is goin from the rattlin of the truck LOL. It gets warm so I guess it's workin.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

I hope it is good Im sure air dog wouldnt false advertise either I was just amazed how it started right up with no stumbling or missing
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by theonlyz
I hope it is good Im sure air dog wouldnt false advertise either I was just amazed how it started right up with no stumbling or missing
Think of it like holding your finger over one end of a straw full of coke or something. If you take it off or introduce air at the top end it all drains out really fast.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 AM

Keep in mind that many times the VP44 will not hold a prime as it has an overflow valve with an air bleed in it.

I wouldn't worry about air in the system unless you have confirmed it with a clear piece of hose. (NOT SAFE AROUND RUNNING OR HOT ENGINES!)

Dave
Old 01-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Ya I should be good I just couldnt belive there was no fuel to be seen!!!