Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Additional Boost with a V5???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Boost with a V5???

Happy Friday everyone. So when I installed the V5, it went fine; noticed a difference and it's all good for now. When I spoke with the VanAaken dude he said the V5 does the boost fooling; good enough. But my question is just because I installed the V5 does that mean I'm getting more boost or should be getting more boost? Or should I install a boost elbow, j-hook or something similar to get a bit more boost out of it? I don't have a boost guage yet so whatever stock boost is plus the V5 is what probably have. I've checked the intercooler and airhorn boots and they seem in good shape. If I go for more boost will that give some increase in power or will I need to increase fueling with injectors / box to really see it?

Any advice?

Thanks. Mike
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM

First of welcome to the DTR. First thing is go to the UserCp and fill out you signature so everyone can see what your truck is and what you have done to it. I would highly recomend you get some gauges (fuel pressure, pyro, and boost, tranny temp if you have an auto) The lift pump is notorious for failing and killing the vp44. But to answer your original question you will not see anymore boost until you but a boost elbow or turnbuckle on your turbo. The stock wastegate is still gonna open at 17psi I think. Good luck this is a great site lots of information available here. Hope this helps.
Joe
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks Joe.. I'm pretty up on the pros and cons of these rigs as I'm a member of that "other site" too. You're right.. great info to be had. I thought I modified my sig to be included but here it is.. thanks again, Mike.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Mike. Get a boost elbow from edge. Making more boost doesn't always make more power but it will help a little. You need more fuel along w/ higher boost, air. Fueling box and or injectors will make more power. Then bigger turbo after that twins and so on...

Eugene
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM

If you have an auto, you can't use a boost elbow because the HY-35 turbo has an internal wastegate unlike the HX-35 on the manual tranny. If you have an auto, go to the nearest hardware dealer. Get a turnbuckle with dual hook ends. (7/64'' I think). Hook one end around the wastegate lever towards the firewall and the other hook around the raised portion of V-shaped metal towards the intercooler where the head actuator mounts to the turbo bracket. Crank her tight. This will keep the wastegate from opening and you can hit peak boost of 30-35 psi. Pretty cool for a $1.19 investment!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:18 PM

'99 auto should have an hx-35 I think.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks guys. Hey firemandodge, how do you like your XZT+? I do have the HX35 with external wastegate. I'd also like to have the boost adjustable if possible.. will the elbows allow for that?

Also, if I do the increased boost with mild injectors (DDP stage 1, RV275s etc) what kind of increase would I be looking at from those?

Thanks.