Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Additional HP = Lower MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional HP = Lower MPG??

I want to stir something up here to see if I can get some realistic feedback on the subject of performance upgrades and the associated effect on MPG.<br><br>I have read numerous posts that claim through upgraded injectors and/ or electronic fuel boxes, MPG has increased anywhere from 1 to 5 MPG. <br><br>I've always thought you need to add additional fuel and air to achieve additional HP? :P Am I wrong?<br><br>A few of the posts I've read state that the overhead MPG computer is not accurate - it's fooled by these upgrades and does not read the true MPG, showing higher (false) MPG figures.<br><br>I'm toying with some enhancements to my CTD but I'm going to be cautious before I jump. The stock power is adequate. It would be nice to get a little more &quot;kick&quot; but I really don't want to sacrifice MPG.<br><br>Any feedback?
Old 12-21-2002, 09:06 PM

Re:Additional HP = Lower MPG??

I just put a #11 plate in mine and mileage seems to have suffered slightly. I am going to check it this week when I fill up again but I seem to have gone through a little more fuel to reach the 300 mile mark than I did before. Some of it is due to the fact that the novelty of that extra power has not worn off yet so I have been putting my foot a little deeper into it this week but the next tank I'll make a concerned effort to baby it a little and see what she'll return.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 12-21-2002, 09:23 PM

I`ve done everything and if I had to do it again, I would only buy a EZ box and be done with it.<br> Danny
Old 12-21-2002, 09:49 PM

danlit,<br><br>Do you believe that the EZ gives its additional HP while giving any MPG increase?
Old 12-21-2002, 11:00 PM

Duh! If high HP engines got good mileage, we'd be driving 6 second dragsters.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:21 AM

I guess the bigest thing that helped my 94 was the fact that I got the pump retimed. That did a lot to the power and MPG. Still I cah run near 400hp and still see 20 mpg over the road and around 14-16 in town. Now I can also tell you that sometimes I get 8mpg but that is only when I hammer it all the time.<br>DM01
Old 12-22-2002, 01:39 AM

With the comp on 4x5 drove 230 miles and the milage was the same as without the box on.mind you I don't have a light foot!<br>the overhead computer was off by 2.5 mpg.if I keep my foot out of the go pedal the milage is up about 1 to 1.5 mpg.over stock.but talk about waking up the ol cummins the box did a good job but gotta have more! ;D
Old 12-22-2002, 03:37 AM

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=7;threadid=8635;start=0#83417 date=1040538073]<br>I guess the bigest thing that helped my 94 was the fact that I got the pump retimed. That did a lot to the power and MPG. Still I cah run near 400hp and still see 20 mpg over the road and around 14-16 in town. Now I can also tell you that sometimes I get 8mpg but that is only when I hammer it all the time.<br>DM01<br>[/quote]<br><br>I can assure you that you ane not running 400hp and getting 20mpg at the same time. One or the other, but not both. You're getting 20mpg because you bumped the timing and it can now uses less fuel to provide the same power. In fact, if you were run 400hp sustained you would be measuring you fuel economy in gpm.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:03 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

SinceI've got my Edge Pulse and my DTT tranny my mpg went up. I can not say whether this comes from the engine operating in the sweet spot more often due to the tranny or because of the box. <br>Shure if I keep a brick on the go pedal my fuel mileage suffers. But on my normal driving which didn't get faster due to the mods the fuel mileage is better. I do not have an overhead console, I have to calculate my fuel mileage by hand.<br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:38 AM
HC

[quote author=rshelton88 link=board=7;threadid=8635;start=0#83372 date=1040526075]<br>I'm toying with some enhancements to my CTD but I'm going to be cautious before I jump. The stock power is adequate. It would be nice to get a little more &quot;kick&quot; but I really don't want to sacrifice MPG. Any feedback?[/quote]<br>My opinion is that anyone who says &quot;the stock power is adequate&quot; should NOT be considering enhancements that will void their 100,000 mile engine/drivetrain warranty. If you're unhappy with stock power, then that is a different story. <br><br>Also IMO, most of the mods have much less impact on mpg that folks tend to claim. If you hammer and use the HP, the mpg will be down; if you feather-foot it, the mpg will be very close to the same. Add a tonneau cover and you might see some improvement.<br><br>Let's do the math. Assume you get 18 mpg now; and drive 25000 per year. If your mpg improves 5%, you'll save less than $100 per year. Now, how many power enhancing mods are you going to buy for that? Even if you assume a 10% savings, it will take you years to get your money back.<br><br>Power enhancing mods are for those who want more power, are willing to pay a little for it, and willing to void their engine/drivetrain warranty to get it. Those who have chosen this path are very happy with their decision; but before you go down that path, be sure it's really what YOU want.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:09 AM

[quote author=athompson link=board=7;threadid=8635;start=0#83440 date=1040549835]
[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=7;threadid=8635;start=0#83417 date=1040538073]
I guess the bigest thing that helped my 94 was the fact that I got the pump retimed. That did a lot to the power and MPG. Still I cah run near 400hp and still see 20 mpg over the road and around 14-16 in town. Now I can also tell you that sometimes I get 8mpg but that is only when I hammer it all the time.
DM01
[/quote]

I can assure you that you ane not running 400hp and getting 20mpg at the same time. One or the other, but not both. You're getting 20mpg because you bumped the timing and it can now uses less fuel to provide the same power. In fact, if you were run 400hp sustained you would be measuring you fuel economy in gpm.
[/quote]
If your asking if I hammer it and still get 20 ...no I mean driving it like normal not dragraceing from stoplight to stoplight of course I would not get 20mpg
Old 12-22-2002, 10:39 AM

HC,<br><br>Your feedback is right on the mark. I'm asking these questions to gain information to make an educated decision about if it's worth it at this point in time to add performance mods or not.<br><br>Thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:42 AM

HC,<br><br>I forgot to ask, are you running stock? You have no signature information so I can't tell.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:06 PM

I could be wrong but from the reading I've done so far it would seem to me the best way to go for someone wanting a little extra performance without lowering MPG would be to concentrate on helping the engine breathe. A bigger exhaust and a good aftermarket intake system will provide power by helping the engine breathe better and making it more efficient. I don't see how this would have any negative affect on mileage. My truck is still stock but I am going to start out like this and see how my mileage does, although I'm sure I'll probably catch the BOMBing bug and keep going!
Old 12-22-2002, 07:25 PM

Adding Bombs hasn`t hurt my mileage, But didn`t help either.<br>But it sure is fun to drive. The guy that whats an exhaust and air intake, NIX the exhaust as a later bomb, make HP first. or you`ll lose alot of low-end snap.<br> Danny

Quick Reply: Additional HP = Lower MPG??