Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

96 5 spd w/ no fuel plate safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 5 spd w/ no fuel plate safe?

A friend of mine that has been pulling his 96 CTD with a 5 spd for the past couple of years is a firm believer that you don't need to run any fuel plate at all on these trucks. He and others that he knows has been doing it without any negative consequences for a while now. I have personally seen him pull this truck and he usually does very well, but I guess that doesn't make him right about everything. What do you guys think about taking my fuel plate all of the way out like him?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:02 PM

i think it is a unnessay risk, you can grind your stock plate to any configuration you chose. and not worry about the pin getting snapped in the pump. and your afc can make a big differance on where it is set at with the plat pulled or in place. plus your duration of fuel being injected is usally to long unless you have a lot of timing and big injectors. most of the time a plate will produce more power and less egts when it is not all the way forward.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

I have not seen or experienced it personally, and am not so sure if the pins really breaks. A tech at OR fuel injection told me during one phone conversation that without placing "pressure" on the gov arm via stopping against a fuel plate, there is a pin that can "fall" out at full unrestricted rack travel. This doesn't happen with every pump, or on every truck, but the possibility is there.....much like the killer dowel pin.....it may or may not happen. So the risk is yours, as long as you know it. It is a well known fact that the mystery pin can bite you. As gunracer1 said and I agree from personal experience, I ran harder with a plate not even full forward than I did plateless when I tried it. It really depends on the air/fuel system as a whole though, and what works for one won't for another. That's what tuning is all about

Chris
Old 02-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Why not grind a #0 out of the stock plate, and be safe with just as much power? Thats what i would do. Here we are making all kinds of power for way cheaper than a gasser, and we still try to get by cheaper.lol

Eric
Old 02-28-2005, 07:06 AM

And on that subject, why not take the fuel rack out too? What use is it anyway? No plate, it's in the way.

..Preston..
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does this guy that doesn't run a plate have gauges?......Does he have a clue what kind of egt's he is getting?......has he made adjustments to the wastegate to allow for more boost to accomadate the extra fuel?........how about some timing advance to compensate for the very retarded fueling curve that running no plate will cause?.......As it has already been mentioned, I have seen no benefit to running no plate, only negatives.......IMO, guys that run no plate are only showing how little they know about the P7100...........
Old 02-28-2005, 09:50 AM

Thanks for all your opinions. What all of you have said is kind of what I expected. I am sure that he has never done any back to back comparisons to actually test his ideas. I am going to buy his 370 injectors from him though. Along with the injectors I plan on doing the 3k gsk, guages, maybe the bigger turbo housing, and of course a fuel plate. So Ive been doing some reading on fuel plates and have an idea of what they are all about, but would a 0 plate give me the most amount of fuel or is it more of a comprimise.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:16 AM

the fuel plate is only one of a few things that limits the ammount of fuel you can get, theres the late or course, then theres the afc, which controlls max fuel under light boost conditions, then theres gov. springs, which de-fuel at high rpm's, then theres injector size that limits fuel overall and delivery valves "to a point" but they all can cause "de-fueling" at one time or another and if you upgrade all these to put max fuel, it will smoke like these trucks on enterpriseengine.com. and too much fuel will cause hosepower loss. i think them in truck pulls just do it for show more than anything. grinding late to a 0 will give you the most fuel you can get when A: you have full boost and you are under the governor top speed. then your restriction is injects and d.v.'s i doubt anyone ever really NEEDS all the fuel that 370's, d.v's, 0 plate, and gutted afc can give you, unless you have some MAJOR engine mods and 3 turbos with 150 psi boost.. and then you wouldn't know what to do with your truck because it would be pretty hard to drive...